View Vacancy - Department of International Trade China - University Pool ( for Post Graduate Programs)
The Department for International Trade (DIT) has been established by the Prime Minister to integrate and elevate the Trade agenda; to help secure a better deal for the UK as it negotiates a successful exit from the EU; and, to establish new relationships with other countries around the globe.
DIT promotes British trade across the world and ensures that the UK takes advantage of the huge opportunities open to us. We intend to:
- drive up the value of exports and inward investments, by focusing attention on those markets with the biggest opportunities for sectors in which the UK is or can be a strong competitor and where government can add most value;
- drive up the volume of exporters and inward investors through a new and better suite of export products, an increasingly digital offer (such as Exporting is GREAT) that will lead businesses to the right advice and support and fostering of the private sector advisory market; and
- drive up the future pipeline of export and inward investment opportunities, which includes ensuring that British businesses are poised to seize the opportunities generated through HMG’s Prosperity Fund activities to promote inclusive growth and sustainable development.
This is a talent pool for prospective candidates who are interested in trade and investment.
You will deliver targeted campaigns to help UK companies win more business in China, secure new and increased inward investment from China into the UK, and identify opportunities for UK-Sino commercial cooperation in third markets.
You will lead a team in delivering trade and investment campaigns and activities in your target sector. As a team leader you will have a key role in ensuring that sector targets are met in complex and highly regulated business environments, requiring a high level of independent judgement. Your role will cover both trade and investment and the jobholder will feed in to, and implement strategic planning.
The role will also include building a network of influential relationships in China and the UK to support the sector strategy, and the jobholder will be expected to represent UK interests with senior contacts, officials, and businessmen.
The primary focus of the job will be to deliver high value business wins and high quality investment for the UK to meet sector targets, through:
- Building strong relationships with key government officials, industry bodies, and business clients;
- Identifying and linking new Chinese opportunities and investment interests with UK capability and strategic needs;
- Promoting UK excellence;
- Working in collaboration with partners across government, EU colleagues, and private businesses to overcome barriers to trade and market access issues;
- Working with the China Britain Business Council (CBBC) in providing services to UK companies.
- Bachelors Degree and above is preferred but not essential
- A diplomatic, tactful manner when dealing with contacts and colleagues.
- Good organisation skills, positive approach to teamwork, and a pro-active attitude.
- Good administrative and IT skills (e.g. Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Relevant sector experience is preferred in one of the following areas:
- Education, Agriculture, Food and Drink
- Life Science and Healthcare
- Financial services
- Energy, Infrastructure, Creative and Sports
- Advanced Manufacturing, ICT and Transport