View Vacancy - Trade & Investment Officer: Energy, Environment, & Infrastructure
The Department for International Trade (D.I.T.) is the United Kingdom Government’s department responsible for promoting British trade across the world and attracting foreign direct investment to the UK. The D.I.T. is charged with transatlantic trade development between the UK and the US and with assisting US companies looking to invest in the UK. (See www.trade.gov.uk for further information.)
D.I.T. USA working closely with D.I.T. Headquarters in London, the D.I.T. Investment Services Team, and other departmental agencies in the UK, together with representatives of the three Devolved Administrations of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, aim to drive transatlantic trade and foreign investment into the UK. Made up of 120 members of staff spread across 9 different offices, this is a dynamic team that focuses on various sectors including telecommunication, technology, financial services, life sciences, and digital and creative media. Being a senior member of the team, the Energy, Environment & Infrastructure Trade & Investment Officer will report to the Head of Trade & Investment and manage one Business Development Associate.
Based in Chicago, the successful applicant will be a part of the 16 person D.I.T. team responsible for the Midwest region. He/she will engage with diverse clients and stakeholders across the Midwest, with particular focus on Chicago, Colorado, Kansas City, and Ohio. Working with the Energy, Environment & Infrastructure sectors will provide the successful applicant with the opportunity to focus on a broad portfolio of sub-sectors such as: power, energy, clean tech, environment, water, infrastructure and related subsectors. We’re looking for someone who can get excited about partnering with companies who are developing innovative new solutions for the energy sector, or working to address infrastructure challenges, as well as someone who knows how to juggle multiple projects, switch gears easily, and prioritize their work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Forge strong relationships with US and UK business leaders, trade associations and other key partners. Strategically manage a diverse portfolio of accounts in the sub-sectors mentioned above. Formulate strategies with US companies who are looking to set up in the UK, as well as support US companies who are poised for expansion in the UK.
- Through lead generation conducted by the Business Development Associate, conduct approximately 100 sales meetings and/or calls over the fiscal year.
- Plan and deliver high impact events such as round-table dinners, seminars, VIP visits and Missions. Highlight the strengths of the UK, including the energy, environment and infrastructure ecosystem in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Identify and assist innovative UK energy, environment and infrastructure companies who are market ready and looking for US business opportunities. Provide top notch support to include identifying supply chain opportunities, making high-level introductions, delivering custom market research reports, managing events, and coordinating visit programs.
- Monitor energy, environment and infrastructure market trends and contribute to US-wide, sector-focused strategic planning.
- Represent D.I.T. and the British Consulate at external US and UK events.
- Manage one Business Development Associate.
- Contribute to cross-Consulate and cross-sector activities.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Five years relevant work experience in sales and/or business development, including lead generation, and account / project management.
- Demonstrated experience meeting and/or exceeding challenging targets.
- A genuine interest in learning about the UK’s world-class energy, environment and infrastructure sectors, UK business environment and UK investment proposition.
- Excellent research, writing and presentation skills. Attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to work in a closely-knit team towards shared trade and investment goals, as well as in a global virtual team environment.
- Previous management experience.
- Computer literacy in standard Microsoft applications and Client Relationship Management (CRM) software.
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to undertake domestic and international air travel, including overnight stays.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.ukinusa.fco.gov.uk. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
The salary for this position is $69,576 annualized. Salary will be confirmed upon offer of employment.
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by September 18th, 2016. Applications received after the deadline will be considered on a rolling basis as required. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must address their resumes through the Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy and its Consulates are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.