View Vacancy - Director: Climate Change Specialist (10/21 PTA)
Main Purpose of Job:
This position will serve as a secondment into the Secretariat of the newly constituted Presidential Coordinating Commission on Climate Change. The Commission, which is chaired by President Cyril Ramaphosa, was formed with the mandate of directing all just transition work in South Africa. The Secretariat of the Commission will be at the offices of the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and Environment (DFFE), which is where the post holder will be stationed throughout the duration of their appointment. The purpose of the role will be to manage, plan and coordinate research towards the implementation of a just transition in South Africa and to support the secretariat’s general operational functions.
The position will be funded through the UK PACT (Partnering for Accelerated Climate Transitions) Programme and the post holder will report to the Chief Director of the Secretariat of the Presidential Coordinating Commission on Climate Change in the DFFE as well as the Head of Climate Change and Energy at the British High Commission
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Facilitate the synthesis of the Just Transition Work in South Africa (30%)
- Analyse the various just transition activities, projects, programme and research output in South Africa and inform the programme of work for the Presidential Coordinating Commission on Climate Change
- Develop the comparative analysis of just transition and associated value chains in jurisdictions outside of South Africa
- Develop a research programme for Just Transition in the South Africa in support of the Presidential Coordinating Commission on Climate Change
- Develop technical papers for Just Transition in support of the Presidential Coordinating Commission on Climate Change
- Coordinate monitoring and reporting on Just Transition activities
Facilitate the development of South Africa Just Transition Framework (30%)
- Develop the Just Transition Framework as part of the secretariat in support of the Presidential Coordinating Commission on Climate Change
- Develop advocacy material for a Just Transition Framework for the purpose of dissemination and advocacy
- Undertake value chain analysis and trade-offs required for effective implementation of the a Just Transition Framework in South Africa
- Coordinate technical discussion with key stakeholders to provide technical inputs into the research outputs for the Presidential Coordinating Commission on Climate Change
Facilitate the development of the social compact agreement for the implementation of the Just Transition in South Africa (25%)
- Develop the just transition social compact agreement (agreement between partners in government, business and organised labour on approach to the Just Transition) for the Presidential Coordinating Commission on Climate Change
- Develop the Just transition vision to be endorsed by the commission
- Coordinate consultations across stakeholders
- Provide support toward convening of the summit to adopt the social compact
Support the administration of the secretariat (15%)
- Provide inputs into the minutes and agendas for the Presidential Coordinating Commission on Climate Change
- Develop meeting report, minutes of meetings and follow up activities
- Degree in Environmental Management, Sustainable Development and/or Climate Change, Economics or Development Economics
- Minimum of 5 years senior managerial experience in a relevant field
- Knowledge of environmental and development issues (globally, regionally, locally)
- Proven competence in the area of or international trends and developments on climate change.
- Extensive knowledge of climate change mitigation and energy sector issues, including legal and policy frameworks and other barriers, the economics and technical requirements of low carbon development, carbon finance etc.
- Ability to manage and plan for activities, including projects and policy matters
- Ability to develop, interpret and apply policies, strategies and legislation.
- Knowledge of HR management practices, legal issues, negotiations and dealing with conflict.
- Ability to control and manage budgets
- Sufficient knowledge of specific computer software packages and efficient use of associated hardware
- South African government public service prescripts and procedures
- Post Graduate Qualification will be an added advantage
The British High Commission pays in full for the Key Care Plus option on Discovery Health for staff including spouses/partners and dependants.
- Once you have successfully completed your probation the British High Commission will contribute 9% of your monthly salary to a Provident Fund.
- Annual leave entitlement of 25 days
- Working hours per week of 40
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Pretoria are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in South Africa.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.