View Vacancy - Politics Team Admin Assistant (BEL21.119)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
Our daily work relies on the input of dedicated individuals who engage on many different topics and activities. We seek to employ a diverse range of candidates who bring their own talents and perspectives to the role. We have a strong corporate agenda that ensures we create a positive and inclusive working environment where everyone is valued for their contribution.
United Kingdom’s Joint Delegation to NATO, based in Brussels, Belgium, is part of a world-wide network of 230 Diplomatic Posts, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are looking for a Politics Team Admin Assistant.
Working within the Political Section at the UK Joint Delegation to NATO, the jobholder will provide admin support to the team and assist in delivering UK objectives in the world’s most successful political-military alliance. Whilst this role is primarily admin focussed, due to the fast-paced nature of the work within the Political Team the jobholder is likely to have opportunities to provide policy support across a wide range of portfolios when required.
The jobholder will be primarily responsible for providing effective admin support to the Politics Team. Tasks required include, but not limited to:
- Organising meetings, events and visits. This will involve work such as making room bookings, organising catering, arranging passes and escorting visitors;
- Liaison with London, the NATO International Staff, other Allied Delegations and Missions of Partner nations;
- Information support, including the electronic transfer of documents between HMG and NATO computer systems;
- Monitoring and managing the information flow to ensure policy leads receive up to date information and requirements. This will involve keeping track of and distributing the high volume of daily committee agendas and documents;
- Keeping team administrative affairs in order, including by managing the Team’s diary and chairing the weekly Politics Team meeting, maintaining the leave chart, managing distribution lists and ensuring the Team’s equipment/stationery requirements are met;
- Attending the Monthly Delegation Management Committee meetings on behalf of the Politics Team.
The Politics Team covers a wide ranging set of issues, and the jobholder will likely also be required to support policy leads when necessary. This may include accompanying others to committee meetings, or being required to cover committee meetings – both civilian and military – as the UK representative.
Your application must clearly indicate all nationalities you hold.
- Full professional proficiency in English, including excellent writing skills (written and spoken, minimum of C1 level for CEFR framework*);
- Excellent organisational skills, with ability to plan ahead and prioritise;
- Ability to respond to changing priorities, and to support team-members on a range of tasks;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision on routine tasks;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, and customer focus;
- Strong IT including MS Office skills;
- Previous experience of working in an office environment.
- Operational French (written and spoken) would be a bonus but not mandatory.
This is a permanent full-time contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week. The monthly gross salary for this position is € 3,486.19, A2 level. In addition, we offer an extensive salary package, which includes a 13th month, luncheon vouchers, pension scheme, optional hospitalisation insurance (subject to monthly employee contribution), reimbursement of public transport and a lot more. We offer more days of annual leave than the Belgian requirements.
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
The successful candidates will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance.
Passport: officers are expected to be in possession of a passport due to the possibility that they may be asked to undertake business travel.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Belgium and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country.
Please note, Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand with ease virtually everything heard or read; can summarize information from different spoken and written sources, reconstructing arguments and accounts in a coherent presentation; can express themselves spontaneously, very fluently and precisely, differentiating finer shades of meaning even in the most complex situations. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Please be advised that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Information due to COVID-19:
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.