View Vacancy - Trade and Investment Associate - Software
The British Consulate-General in San Francisco has an opportunity to join a dynamic and high performing team, fostering transatlantic business relations between the US and its top economic partner in Europe.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the United Kingdom Government’s international trade arm charged with transatlantic trade development between the UK and the US and with assisting US companies looking to expand and invest in the UK.
Our USA DIT team consists of 140 members of staff spread across 9 different offices. This is a dynamic team that focuses on various sectors including technology, financial services, life sciences, digital and creative media, security, and clean technology.
We are seeking a candidate to focus on Software, to work directly with the Head of US Tech and Trade & Investment Officer for Software.
The successful candidate will identify key decision-makers in the purchase of technology solutions, promote UK capability in select tech subsectors to them and work with UK software companies seeking to establish or expand their exports to the Northwest US. In parallel the successful candidate will support developing opportunities with US companies looking to grow their activities overseas, and will support marketing the UK’s business proposition to potential foreign direct investors.
Based in San Francisco, the successful applicants will be a part of the 17 person DIT team responsible for the Northern California area and Pacific Northwest region. He/she will engage with clients and stakeholders in California, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Washington and Alaska.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and manage a database of key contacts in the industry.
- Undertake research and marketing to proactively identify tech purchasers and their influencers and provide assistance to UK software companies in reaching them. Make initial contact, organise visit programs and schedule company meetings for the Trade & Investment Officer. Attend meetings where appropriate and assist in the management of client relationships.
- Support lead generation initiatives to identify potential inward investors. Provide assistance to potential investors in relevant sectors that have interest in setting up or expanding operations in the UK.
- Build and maintain knowledge of developments and trends in the assigned sectors in the US and the UK.
- Assist with the organization and execution of networking receptions, events, informational seminars, trade missions, panel discussions, and other initiatives designed to develop business between the US and the UK.
- Compile content on industry developments, best routes to market and potential US business partners for UK software companies that are looking to enter the US market.
- Arrange meetings, write reports, handle administrative tasks such as booking flights, hotels, inputting performance management data, and maintaining the CRM.
- Liaise with both internal teams and external contacts at an executive level.
- Undertake occasional travel in the U.S. and the UK (up to 10% of the time, ca. four weeks).
- A bachelor’s degree linked to the technology sector, or a bachelor’s degree in business, economics, international marketing, or communications
- An interest in the technology sector, including but not limited to Business to Business software, including analytics, AI, Cloud, Smart Cities and Internet of things
- 3-5 years business development experience and client management experience
- Understand key issues companies face when looking to expand into the US or Europe
- Some experience/knowledge of the UK's trade development activities / and or inward investment and business environment is desirable
- A self-starter - able to work independently and show initiative with limited day-to-day supervision while operating as part of a wider US/UK team (with wide-ranging objectives)
- Ability to be proactive, organized and work to deadlines, prioritize and multi-task, and have a strong attention to detail and good follow up discipline
- Strong and enthusiastic networker with strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team and often under tight deadlines
- Excellent research and report writing skills – with an ability to provide clear, concise summaries and to respond to ad hoc requests at short notice using databases and other information sources.
- Committed team player.
- Computer literacy in standard Microsoft applications
- A valid US driving license and ability to undertake air travel including overnight stays.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
The hourly salary for this position is based on an annual salary of $49,504.00 working 40 hours per week. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local American employment law.
Resume and a cover letter should be submitted by 29 June 2017. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must inform their Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy and its Consulates are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.