View Vacancy - Communications Intern (CHEB21.158)
Due to COVID-19, you may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign. We are working hard to minimise any disruption. You may find more information in the Additional Information section below.
The British Embassy in Berne is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Communications Intern.
We are offering a six-month internship in our Communications & Politics Team. The team works on a wide array of issues from media relations and domestic policy to special events and digital outreach. We are offering you the opportunity to be part of a friendly working environment, where you can take responsibility for your own projects while learning about the world of diplomacy.
We are looking for a dynamic, creative and proactive individual. Graduates in communications, journalism, public diplomacy, public relations, graphic design or a relevant degree can gain valuable real-world experience in their fields though this internship.
Main Duties and responsibilities
The successful candidate will work closely with our Public Diplomacy Officer to positively influence thinking and perceptions of the UK in Switzerland and Liechtenstein, and to help policy officers in the Embassy and in the UK Government better understand Switzerland and Liechtenstein. This will include:
- Communications and Social Media: Respond to requests for information from members of the public. Manage the Embassy’s social media accounts. Create innovative and interesting content for the Embassy’s communications;
- Media Monitoring and Engagement: Monitor media outlets in Switzerland and Liechtenstein and prepare daily summaries, analyses and briefings. Assist in evaluating embassy communications based on social media engagement and media coverage;
- Events Co-ordination: Support the organisation of Embassy events.
- Fluent written and spoken English and German (minimum level required C1 for English Language and German language under the CEFRL or equivalent *);
- Graduate in Communications, Journalism, Public Diplomacy, Public Relations, Graphic Design or a relevant degree;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written);
- Experience in supporting marketing/communications and event organisation;
- Experience in designing and creating communications and promotional materials;
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and multi-task effectively.
- Experience in designing visuals for social media and producing videos;
- Experience with research and written reports;
- Interest in domestic politics;
- Familiarity with UK culture.
- Fluent written and spoken French (minimum level required C1 for French language under the CEFRL or equivalent *);
All applicants should have permission to live and work in Switzerland. Applicants must hold a full passport valid for at least 18 months for any EU / Schengen country.
EU and EFTA nationals do not require visa sponsorship along with Nationals of: Brunei Darussalam, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Principality of Andorra, Principality of Monaco, San Marino, Singapore, United Kingdom, Vatican.
The British Embassy will offer the intern a monthly training allowance of CHF 2,190. Please note that interns will need to arrange and pay for their own travel and accommodation, as well as any other living costs and are subject to Swiss taxes. This internship will be for a period of 6 months.
The final appointment and commencement of internship will be dependent upon successful security clearance.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the UK Mission will not be able to meet any cost during the Recruitment and Selection process, Security Check nor the costs connected with relocation.
Information due to COVID-19:
- You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign and we are working hard to minimise any disruption;
- Interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action;
- Starting date may be delayed depending on circumstances at the time and it will be agreed with the selected candidate.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.
This opportunity is closed to applications.