View Vacancy - Cook
Main purpose of job:
To cook for the High Commissioner, his family and all guests to the Residence.
Roles and responsibilities
- To prepare all meals at the residence.
- To maintain a high standard of creativity, versatility & presentation of meals.
- Has to be able to read & follow recipes in English.
- To maintain a high standard of cleanliness and hygiene in the kitchen and in the preparation of meals.
- To maintain accurate inventory of food consumed & in stock in freezers, etc.
- To maintain up-to-date shopping ledger, cost of meals & submit to Residence Manager.
- To be price & quality conscious while sourcing & shopping for food & vegetables.
- Should prepare meals with minimum wastage.
- To clean & wash used kitchen utensils after each meal.
- Preserve food & leftovers appropriately.
- Responsible for cleanliness & maintenance of kitchen equipment, electronics, refrigerators & freezers.
- Keep refrigerators free of unwanted/ expired foodstuff.
- To change shelf liners once each quarter.
- Must be able to cope with pressure of work during peak season of visiting guests & large functions.
- Working hours are flexible and to be maintained according to events at the Residence.
- Be able to prepare suitable menus in advance for events.
- Have a real interest in food & cooking and learning new dishes while adapting to changing food trends.
- Use seasonal produce- there is a Vegetable Garden at the Residence.
There are busy periods when we may have 3-4 events in a day OR a late night with a dinner followed by breakfast the following morning at 0800. We do, on an average, 20-25 events in a month.
You should be able to cope with periods of high pressure and may have to work official holidays and Sundays. You will get O.T for those days but for hours beyond your duty you can take time-off-in-lieu.
We have a team of two cooks at the Residence. You will be expected to manage daily events between the two of you although you can get in more cooks to help for a large event.
- Should have at least 7 years experience cooking international cuisines.
- Should have sufficient knowledge and experience in baking desserts, breads, biscuits, etc.
- Be aware of right places to shop for fresh produce and meats.
- Should be able to give a practical test as part of the interview process.
- Be familiar with global dishes like sushi, momos, kababs, etc.
- To be able to produce various meal menus independently – eg. Lunch, Dinner, Canapes for Drinks, High Tea.
- Should have a personal collection of recipes used to show.
For British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Local Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply. For other than British High Commission candidates, Salary will be Rs. 28481 per month together with a 12% provident fund and 6% Special Allowance.
You will be provided living quarters for you & your immediate family (wife & children only).
The staff here comprise of 2 cooks, 4 bearers, 5 gardeners, 3 cleaners, 2 Dhobhis who all live on the Staff compound. You will be expected to get along & maintain cordial relations with all.
Additionally the BHC offers a great benefits package that includes annual domiciliary medical cover, plus a Group Hospitalisation Scheme with Rs 500,000 floater cover for your immediate family.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work force is women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment. This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
- Complete the Online Job Application Form
- Attach a detailed CV.
Internal Candidates please Note:
- Please attach the Appraisal form of last two years.
- Inform the line manager before applying for the position.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references.
This opportunity is closed to applications.