View Vacancy - Senior Trade Advisor, Defence and Security Organisation
What we do
Trade and investment is one of the High Commissioner’s top priorities.
DSO’s (as part of the Department for International Trade) role is to :
- Help the UK’s defence and security industries to export their products.
- Maintain and build strong relationships with industry and overseas governments to promote British defence and security products.
- Provide specialist export advice and practical assistance, working closely with industry and UK government departments including the Ministry of Defence (MOD), Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS), the Cabinet Office, the Home Office and the Export Control Joint Unit (based in DIT).
Main purpose of job:
- The jobholder will primarily be responsible for identifying, developing and delivering high value business opportunities for UK companies in the Defence / Security sectors in Mumbai and western India (including Pune and Goa).
- Functionally reporting to the India-wide security sector leader (based in Delhi), the jobholder will be responsible for the strategic development of both sectors in Mumbai and Western India and support development of both sectors across the whole of India
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
Defence & Security Sector (90%)
- Lead the development of security (and occasionally defence) sector opportunities in Mumbai and western India, including exploring, exploiting and promoting new prospects.
- Lead strategic sector campaigns into cyber security (for the financial services) and homeland / Critical National Infrastructure security in Mumbai and western India.
- Develop & manage relationships with senior management of Indian companies, Indian Government Departments and focus on creating high quality networking platforms for collaboration between Indian and British companies.
- Provide expertise and insight into the sectors, supporting UK companies as they seek to exploit them.
- Ensure knowledge of the sector is up to date and ready to provide authoritative advice to a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Deliver an apportioned share of Business Wins and Service Deliveries.
- Work closely with the various departments of the British High Commission team to deepen the UK’s commercial relationship in Mumbai and Western India.
- Support the business of the wider DIT and British High Commission networks as necessary in helping to organise and deliver major events.
- Develop and maintain engagements with UK based companies through various DIT services and business plan activities, resulting in their being significantly assisted to move forward on their India business plans.
- Maintain a good depth of knowledge about the full range of business and related political issues across India, so that the jobholder can speak authoritatively to external stakeholders.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
No formal line management.
What we want from you
The ideal candidate will possess the following personal qualities:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a reliable member of a team.
- Efficient with excellent planning and organisational skills, including the ability to plan and organise timetables or diaries for others.
- Good attention to detail.
- Effective English written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to work both on own initiative and under supervision.
- Good all round IT skills and ability to set up administration systems reflecting good practise.
- Ability to see things from a range of different perspectives.
- Responsive, motivated and able to ‘get things done’.
- An interest in working with international visitors and organising itineraries, meetings and briefings.
- A willingness to learn to learn about the work of UK Defence and Security Organisation.
EDUCATION: A degree or equivalent qualification, or the ability to demonstrate an equivalent level of knowledge and skill /experience.
EXPERIENCE: 3 years relevant experience of working in an office environment.
Desirable: Experience of the defence and security sectors in India.
For British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Local Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, salary will be in the range of Rs. 88102 to Rs. 121891 per month plus 12% provident fund and 6% Superannuation Fund/ Special Allowance
Additionally the BHC offers a great benefits package that includes annual domiciliary medical cover, plus a Group Hospitalisation Scheme with Rs 500,000 floater cover for your immediate family.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work force is women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
Please note that applications without (a), (b) and (c) will NOT be considered:
(a) Complete the Online Application Form
(b) Attach a detailed CV
(c) Complete the motivation segment in the Online Application Form
Internal candidates applying for this position need to inform their current line managers before applying and also upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) else the application will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications. Please apply by 22nd March 2018 midnight.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.