View Vacancy - JPN - Senior Investment Adviser - Life Sciences and Food&Drink (Open in Tokyo and Osaka)
Main purpose of job:
To support the C4 Head of Life Sciences to deliver FDI wins and generate new investment leads to meet sector targets by promoting the strengths of the UK through relationship management and targeting new companies not currently investing in the UK. The job holder will split their attention between Life Sciences (75%), Food and Drink (25%)
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
- Deliver FDI wins to support sector targets.
- You will develop and deliver compelling pitches to sell the UK offer to Japanese companies, continually updating and increasing their knowledge of the UK’s strengths in the relevant sectors.
- You will regularly engage with companies to move projects through the pipeline prioritising high value projects.
- You will engage regularly with delivery partners in the UK and Japan to jointly identify and manage projects and overcome obstacles to investment.
- Account-manage a number of top existing investors.
- You will account manage a number of large existing investors, adopting a strategic and planned approach to the relationship.
- You will put in place an annual plan of senior level meetings and develop new contacts in key positions in the company, while providing in depth support for their current and planned investment projects.
- Improving perceptions of the UK & generating leads for new investment projects
- You will identify and implement the most appropriate methods for improving perceptions of the UK and generating new leads in their sectors. These could include use of media including social media, GREAT events, trade fairs UK sector specialist visits, Ministerial roundtables and working with multipliers.
- You will build up a rolling list of key companies in each sector, that do not currently have a significant base in the UK, to build propositions for and target for new investment into the UK.
- Team work, line management and resource management
- You will line manage for 1 Investment officer – coaching them to deliver a strong performance.
- Provide effective budget forecasting and deliver VfM from spending public money on events and other activities.
- Ensure strong cooperation across the Tokyo and Osaka investment team and with trade colleagues.
- Visits and events
- You will advise on the design and manage the delivery and follow up of visits and events that contribute to sector targets, using visits to address business environment and market access issues.
- Plan and manage practical and logistical aspects of VIP visit programmes, working with multipliers and partners to deliver cost efficient solutions.
- Experience working in commercial environment in Japan
- Fluent Japanese language skills (Native level Japanese
- Strong English ability with experience of working in an english speaking environment
- Understanding of the sectors (Life Sciences, Food & Drink) in Japan and/or the UK#
- UK experience/exposure – living, studying or (particularly) working in the UK
- Fluent English (IELTS band 7 or TOEIC 875 points or above or equivalent)
- Line Management experience
As part of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) the Embassy/ Consulate-General aims for excellence by:
- Taking responsibility
- Encouraging innovation
- Working together
Our values support a vibrant culture where all staff takes on stretching responsibilities, where ideas thrive and the status quo can be fearlessly challenged. We work together effectively with all our partners to make a greater difference for the UK
Benefits package includes:
- This is a permanent role and the position will be based in either Tokyo or Osaka.
- Working hours: Full time.
- Salary: 413,000 yen (note: Salary may be reduced due to tax status)
- Commuting allowance of up to JPY35,000 per month (paid on an actual cost basis)
- 24 days paid annual leave (calculated pro rata)
- Health Insurance and Employee pension (kenko hoken/kosei nenkin)
- Employment Insurance (koyou hoken)
- Excellent training and development opportunities
- Work-related travel in Japan/the region/ to the UK
- Start date in February 2018
All applications must be received on or before 23:55, 25 December 2017.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
The applicant must have work authorisation for Japan however if a foreign national, the British Embassy/ Consulate General will support a visa application if required.
This opportunity is closed to applications.