View Vacancy - Senior Human Rights Attaché (CHEG620) - INTERNAL VACANCY
The United Kingdom Mission to the United Nations in Geneva represents British interests in a range of international organisations dealing with human rights, economic, migration, health and disarmament issues in Geneva. We work to ensure that the UK’s views and opinions are taken on board by UN bodies and other member states. We are now looking for a Senior Human Rights Attaché:
- To lead for the human rights team on selected geographic and thematic issues at intergovernmental negotiations, especially the Human Rights Council and related working groups:
- Geographic leads include Europe and Central Asia ( Russia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Turkey);
- Thematic leads Child Right (Child Early and Forced Marriage, Girls Education) Corruption and Human Rights, Freedom of Religion or Belief;
- Coordinate and supervise reporting on Human Rights Treaty Bodies to desks and posts;
- Corporate responsibilities including management of section Human Rights Attaché and Intern.
Main Roles and Responsibilities:
- To ensure outcomes from UN negotiations and meetings are consistent with the business plan and UK policy on thematic and geographic leads, in particular:
- To lead on human rights developments in Europe and Central Asia, with a focus on Russia, Turkey and Belarus, especially for Human Rights Council statements and the Universal Periodic Review.
- Lead on UN resolutions on Freedom of Religion and Belief and on negative religious stereotyping, and ensure continued strong outcomes in line with UK policy;
- Ensure that the Human Rights Council maintains a strong focus on the situations in Crimea and eastern Ukraine, through successful resolutions and regular debates;
- UK maintains a leading role in HRC resolutions and related processes on Child Early and Forced Marriage;
- Oversee timely reporting of relevant treaty body examinations (Human Rights Committee, Committee Against Torture, Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women) to London and overseas posts;
- Line management of section Human Rights Attaché.
- 5 years of professional experience of the UN/multilateral system, preferably on human rights including experience in multilateral negotiations;
- Knowledge of, and a keen interest in, the UN human rights system;
- Strong spoken and written communication skills, including the ability to produce written reports in a timely manner and in a clear and concise style;
- Excellent interpersonal and team-working skills. Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with respect for diversity;
- Proven strong skills in planning, organisation and administration towards the achievement of team objectives: ability to work flexibly to manage competing priorities and work under pressure to tight deadlines;
- Good IT skills; proficiency in word processing;
- Familiarity with social media;
- Full driving licence required;
- University degree in international law, political science, international relations or other discipline related to human rights.
- A master’s degree is advantageous.
This is a full-time position, for a fixed term contract of 2 years.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background check and security clearance.
The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorization for Switzerland in order to apply.
Staff recruited locally by the UK Mission in Geneva are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Swiss employment law.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
FCO does not pay for travel related expense incurred in interviews (including Security Check) or accept any financial risk, including cancelation or reschedule costs. The FCO will not meet the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
This opportunity is closed to applications.