View Vacancy - Defence Coordinator to the Defence Section
The UK Ministry of Defence, operating from the Defence Section within the British Embassy, will be looking to fill the position of the Defence Coordinator to the Defence Section.
The main purpose of the job is to project manage defence engagement activity with Mexican authorities, to provide analysis of defence and security issues pertinent to Mexico and the region and to provide translation and interpreter services for defence-related activities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead on project planning to ensure project deliverables are delivered to time, budget and strategy.
- Ensure that project implementation contributes to UK’s policy strategies in Mexico.
- Manage project execution to ensure compliance with planned expenditure, based on completion of activities, targets and financial and narrative reporting under FCO / MOD guidelines.
- Monitor progress tracking through active follow up, periodic meetings with implementers, policy officers and other relevant stakeholders. Monitor project risks and review project deliverables.
- Communicate programme and project achievements and strategies. Coordinate projects events.
- Provide detailed analysis from a wide spread of open source data on defence and security trends both nationally and regionally. This includes building networks across this environment and enabling limited statistical and economic analysis.
- Build networks across SEMAR and SEDENA to enable Security Cooperation Activity delivery. This on occasion will include CSN, SSP and other Government departments or institutions.
- Provide translation services in English and Spanish to the Section and simultaneous interpretation for meetings, seminars and other events.
- Assist the Assistant Defence Attache in data-base maintenance, knowledge management and general support to the Defence Attache.
The successful candidate must:
The successful applicant must be professional and engaging, able to quickly build successful professional relationships with senior interlocutors and deliver quality results at pace. He / she will need to be an excellent communicator, with fluent English and Spanish skills, able to provide simultaneous interpretation of defence-related material.
He / she should have previous project management experience (3+ years), be organised and versatile, to have good IT skills and a good sense of humour. Within the small Defence Section, they need to be an adaptable, flexible and dedicated team player, capable of taking responsibility and showing initiative.
Be resilient and resourceful – the aim of the job is to deliver a meaningful and successful range of activities which support both HMG’s objectives more widely as well as the Embassy’s business objectives.
- Create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the British Embassy to help get business done. At all levels, it requires working collaboratively, sharing information and building supportive, responsive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, whilst having the confidence to challenge assumptions.
- Take responsibility and be accountable for quality outcomes, including by delivering on a timely performance with energy. Work to agreed goals and activities and deal with challenges in a responsive and constructive way. Build a performance culture to deliver outcomes with a firm focus on prioritisation and address performance issues resolutely, fairly and promptly.
- 14 days of public holidays.
- 16 days of annual leave during the first year then 20 days on the second year.
- 50% Annual leave entitlement.
- 13th Month salary.
- Medical Insurance.
The successful candidate should be prepared to travel occasionally to support Defence Engagement activity, for example ship visits to Mexican ports. There may also be occasions where support will be required out of normal office hours at events or receptions, including providing translation services for evening or weekend events (although this is rare).
This opportunity is closed to applications.