View Vacancy - British Ambassador's Residence Part-Time Cook (GRC19.544)
The British Embassy in Athens is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is extending the opportunity for a talented Cook, to work at the British Ambassador’s Residence in Athens.
We are looking for a flexible, creative and motivated person enjoying cooking and preparing high quality food of British and international cuisine at internal and external events of the diplomatic mission. The successful candidate will be responsible to lead catering for events and official hospitality in the Residence, producing high quality food and managing all aspects of the Residence kitchen.
We are offering an exciting part-time position with flexible working hours (20 hrs per week), attractive salary, benefits package and excellent working conditions in a pleasant atmosphere.
The Cook might not be cooking every day, but time will also be spent planning for further events. The role would suit someone seeking a different work-life balance.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Cooperation with the Full-Time Cook, relevant Embassy & Residence staff on event tasks and requirements;
- Cook, plan and suggest menus for official events and special requirements following discussion with the Residence Manager;
- Cook and plan menus for various occasions (breakfasts, lunches and dinners);
- Maintain files of past menus and recipes;
- Maintain list of suppliers of fresh food, gastro-services, delivery companies, catering companies etc.;
- Grocery food purchases, maintaining and reconciliation of receipts;
- Coordination and supervision of kitchen staff (if applicable) at the events;
- Making sure the Residence complies with food safety standards and the Property Compliance Report;
- Monitor and report on kitchen accounts (Credit card, Residence imprest, cash);
- Cleaning and maintenance of the kitchen equipment;
- Responsibility for the inventory in the Residence kitchen;
- Other duties as required.
- Ability to demonstrate cooking skills to the highest level, and ability to create new and exciting dishes;
- Experience in event delivery and/or management;
- Excellent kitchen management and food hygiene control;
- Good customer service skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and team-working skills;
- Able to work accurately with focus on detail;
- Excellent organisational and planning skills;
- Demonstrate initiative and flexibility;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good IT skills (Microsoft Office);
- A good command of English and Greek is required (both oral and written);
- Experience in the diplomatic field, top restaurant or similar environment is an advantage;
- Drivers licence.
- Culinary Diploma;
- ISO and HACCP training and fine dining.
This is a part-time position of 20 hours per week. The job holder may be required to work at evenings or during weekends. This may include evening and shift working, variable hours, weekend and bank holiday working which will be compensated in accordance with Greek labour law.
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package, 24 days annual leave entitlement (given pro-rata to staff on fixed-term contracts), a training package and flexible working opportunities. Monthly salary for this position is EUR €901.65, currently payable 14 times a year (as per Greek labour law). An individual personal development plan will be agreed with the successful candidate.
The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background and security clearance. Anyone with right of residence and employment in Greece may apply, including all EU / EEA citizens and the family members of EU / EEA nationals exercising a treaty right in Greece.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy is subject to terms and conditions service according to Greek employment law. The British Embassy does not sponsor work permits.
Visa / Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Greece and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary pending EU Exit. If requirements change additional eligibility information will be shared during the recruitment process.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.