View Vacancy - Prosperity Advisor
Main purpose of job:
The British Deputy High Commission in Hyderabad is looking for an enthusiastic, self-starter to help build and increase our engagement in Energy, Urban Development, Ease of Doing Business and Financial Services in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh and potentially across other southern Indian states. The successful candidate will deliver programmes in two of the sectors mentioned above as well as oversee the delivery of the other two through a Prosperity Officer.
The main purpose of the job is to identify, design and deliver partnerships between the UK and Indian states which develop Indian markets and identify, grow and refine opportunities for UK businesses.
The successful candidate will facilitate partnerships between the UK and Telangana and Andhra Pradesh, and potentially with other southern Indian states by identifying business opportunities, engaging with government bodies, organising events, maintaining an extensive range of contacts with UK and Indian Institutions in the above areas, and building a pipeline of commercial opportunities for UK businesses.
One key means by which the job holder will be expected to deliver this is through the UK’s Prosperity Fund (PF) technical assistance programmes, for which exceptional programme management skills will be required. The successful candidate will be expected to work with external delivery partners, the Governments of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh and team leaders in the British High Commission (BHC) New Delhi and Deputy High Commission (BDHC) Mumbai.
In India, the PF aims to deliver inclusive economic growth and poverty reduction in India and increased bilateral trade and investment. It will achieve this by providing up to £60m of technical assistance to address current market failures and weaknesses that impede India’s inclusive economic growth, unlocking increased prosperity for the UK and India.
The job holder will work closely with relevant team leads in the BHC New Delhi and BDHC Mumbai as well as the Deputy High Commissioner and Trade & Investment colleagues at post. Based in Hyderabad, the jobholder will be expected to travel extensively and engage with contacts throughout their geographic area of responsibility.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
Prosperity Fund Delivery – Large Scale Programme Management in Energy, Urban Development, Ease of Doing Business and Financial Services - 50%
- Lead on the delivery of Prosperity Fund (PF) programmes in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh and potentially across other southern Indian states in coordination with the relevant strand leads in Delhi/Mumbai.
- Maintain oversight of the delivery of key outputs being conducted by the nominated delivery partner.
- Bring together state governments, delivery partners and strand leads to ensure impactful delivery and value for money.
- Support the planning and delivery of key events, visits, and meetings etc that support our objectives.
- Actively engage in the Monitoring, Reporting, and Evaluating and Learning (MREL) processes of the Prosperity Fund.
- Facilitate colleagues’ visits e.g. making introductions, setting up meetings, following up.
- Communicate success of UK-India partnerships both internally and externally, capturing evidence of impact and creating strong stories.
- Identify, grow and deliver new ideas for innovative projects that deliver against our objectives.
Broader Prosperity Delivery – Strategic Engagement (30%)
- Build a network of state & municipal government officials, Indian and UK businesses, think tanks and opinion formers – to ensure the identification and delivery of partnerships.
- Work with prosperity strand leads in Delhi to understand UK priorities, and contribute to the design of national prosperity programmes.
- Promote UK strengths to Indian stakeholders and identify potential commercial pipeline opportunities
- Identify and deliver new projects that use PF funding to help meet our objectives, using exemplary project and programme management skills.
Technology, Research and Innovation and other mission work (20%)
- Support the delivery of the UK-India Tech Partnership and associated activities.
- Support the delivery of other relevant UK programmes.
- Promote relevant UK-India Research and Innovation activities in cooperation with relevant bodies e.g. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), the Science and Innovation Network (SIN); Newton Fund etc.
- Strengthen the India-UK Living Bridge and our Next Gen network through prosperity work
- Provide support to political reporting from post.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
The job holder will oversee the work of a Prosperity Officer at Post. S/he will also manage a budget provided for travel and hospitality.
- English (mandatory), Telugu / Hindi (desirable)
Level of language required:
- An ability to speak and write in English to a high level is mandatory.
- An ability to speak, read and write in Telugu / Hindi to an operational level is desirable.
Essential on arrival:
- Graduate in any discipline with at least 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience working with industry, identifying and growing opportunities for investment.
- Excellent programme and project management experience.
- Excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills.
- Very strong and proven analytical skills, excellent communication skills and IT proficiency.
- Extensive network in relevant sectors and within relevant governmental bodies.
- Experience of working in a diplomatic mission or other international organisation.
- Sector-specific expertise and relevant qualifications.
For British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Local Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, salary will be INR 94,405 per month plus 12% provident fund and 6% Superannuation fund.
Additionally the BHC offers a great benefits package that includes annual domiciliary medical cover, plus a Group Hospitalisation Scheme with INR 500,000 floater cover for your immediate family.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance. Around half of our work force is women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
Please note applications without (a), (b) and (c) will not be considered.
a) Complete the Online Job Application Form.
b) Complete the motivation segment in the Online Application Form and the competency questions.
c) Attach a detailed CV.
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) and also inform their current line managers. Else the application will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications by “28 August 2019” midnight.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
This opportunity is closed to applications.