View Vacancy - Investment Officer (Bilingual), British Consulate-General Montreal (DIT)
Main purpose of job:
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the UK Government’s international economic development department. DIT Canada, working closely with DIT and other agencies in the United Kingdom is responsible for championing transatlantic trade development between the UK and Canada and foreign direct investment to the UK. See www.gov.uk/dit for further information.
DIT Montreal is seeking an Investment Officer to support the Senior Investment Officer to attract foreign direct investment to the UK across multiple sectors including aerospace, space, advanced engineering and manufacturing, technology, financial and business professional services, clean growth, etc. while leading on client engagement on some sectors (TBD). The position will be based at the British Consulate in Montreal reporting to the Senior Investment Officer for Quebec and will work as part of the Consulate team and wider North American virtual team. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis starting as soon as possible, subject to successful security clearance. The language requirement is bilingual English and French.
Roles and responsibilities:
This is a multi-disciplinary role and the successful candidate will be pivoting between administrative duties, research, lead generation, and client relationship management/pipeline and project management. It also provides scope for creativity and working across science and innovation and prosperity teams.
· Research key sectors and proactively identify Canada-based companies across the aerospace and space sectors and Quebec-based companies across advanced engineering, technology, financial and business professional services, clean growth sectors that would be interested in setting up or expanding their operations in the UK.
· Proactive client outreach including making initial contact, scheduling company meetings, preparing meeting briefs and organizing business development visits for the Senior Investment Officer and members of the North American Senior Leadership Team.
· Attend client meetings and assist the Senior Investment Officer in the management of client relationships and investment projects.
· Lead client meetings, client management and investment projects in 2-3 specific sectors in Quebec as agreed with the Senior Investment Officer and Director of Investment Promotion and Exports, Canada.
· Develop knowledge and maintain a comprehensive network of industry and business contacts to support business development efforts, leveraging and working with other colleagues, including the Science & Innovation Officer and Consul General.
· Liaise with C-suite external contacts, internal teams, devolved administrations, and other stakeholders.
· Build and maintain expert knowledge of developments and trends in the UK and Quebec industrial sectors to anticipate and address emerging sector opportunities and challenges, and synergies with UK’s Industrial Strategy.
· Assist the Senior Investment Officer to forge relationships with business leaders, trade associations, and multipliers in both the UK and Quebec.
· Help organize and execute the delivery of DIT events, provide support with incoming VIP visitor programs and briefings. Contribute when necessary to administrative and logistical support for Consulate-wide events.
· Maintain client relationship management (CRM) database, lists of key contacts, and other data. Manage administrative tasks such as updating spreadsheets, budget profiling and other similar duties.
Attend key business and sector events and official functions during and outside of office hours and undertake occasional travel in both North America and the UK.
Essential on arrival:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as business administration or international business or the equivalent industry experience.
- Direct or relevant experience that can be applied to the aerospace, space, advanced engineering and manufacturing, technology, financial and business professional services, clean growth sectors.
- 2-3 years’ experience in a professional and client focused environment with relevant public and/or private sector, economic or business development capacity.
- Bilingual French and English - the jobholder must be fully bilingual, able to operate at the highest level in both spoken and written English and French. Proficiency in French will be tested as part of the recruitment process.
- Excellent research and writing skills, with an ability to provide clear, concise summaries.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of Quebec’s economic landscape.
- Experience/knowledge of the UK's investment proposition and business environment is preferred.
- Proficiency in Office 365 and Microsoft Teams is essential.
- Positive team player who can operate as a part of a wider, geographically dispersed team with shared goals and wide-ranging objectives
- Organised, proactive approach to work, with the ability to deliver effectively under limited day-to-day supervision in a fast-paced, deadline-sensitive environment
- Strong project management and organisational skills, attention to detail, and good follow up discipline.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to engage companies at a senior level with a proven record of accomplishment of fostering business relationships.
- Highly professional demeanour
Must have the legal status to live and work in Canada.
- Knowledge of the UK investment and business environment.
- Knowledge of the UK-Quebec-Canada bilateral business relationship.
- Driver’s licence
Learning and development opportunities:
- DIT Induction
- Direct Sector Knowledge
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and enriching learning and development opportunities.
- Flexible work patterns in place, Monday to Friday 37.5 hours a week.
- Able to be located in/relocate to the Greater Montreal area.
- Be willing to undertake occasional travel in North America and to the UK.
- Be willing to represent DIT and the British Consulate at external functions (during working hours and evenings).
This opportunity is closed to applications.