View Vacancy - Residence Steward
Main purpose of job:
The British High Commission, Kingston is seeking to recruit an experienced dynamic Steward, with a minimum of 2 years practical experience, to undertake housekeeping, some waiting tables and basic administrative tasks in and around the Residence of the British High Commission; with major responsibilities for small to large events. The Residence supports the work of the British High Commission and seeks to project a positive image of the UK in Jamaica. The UK foreign policy objectives and interests at Post are supported through the hosting of official events, diplomatic breakfasts, lunches and dinners and the provision of accommodation for official visitors. The Residence Steward must be committed to providing excellent hospitality service standards in order to achieve these goals. The Residence is also the home of the British High Commissioner to Jamaica and his family and the Residence Steward is committed to ensuring that the occupants are comfortable in their surroundings by delivering at high service standards on a daily basis.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve:
- Work jointly with other housekeepers in ensuring the full upkeep of a large residence at a high standard of cleanliness and hygiene, which includes the cleaning of patios, storage facilities, windows, brass, silver, fans, and chandeliers throughout the Residence
- Supporting the Residence team to ensure the successful delivery of a high level of hospitality service, ensuring events are properly executed from set-up to clean-up
- Serving meals and beverages at all official receptions and events; as well as to the High Commissioner and his family on a daily basis
- Cleaning of the Residence (this will range from daily cleaning of the High Commissioner’s private quarters to doing laundry and polishing the silverware)
- Stock taking of domestic cleaning supplies as well as assisting with routine inventory checks and updates to items in the Residence
- Ensuring that the formal dining table is properly set with appropriate utensils to accommodate guests at official breakfasts, lunches and dinners
- Maintaining order in all additional functioning facilities including the cool room, service kitchen and storage facilities where, a variety of supplies for official events are stored
- Working flexibly with Residence staff to ensure the Residence maintenance and service standards are met at a high level; and informing Residence Manager of any maintenance requests in a timely manner
- Working in accordance with Health and Safety regulations
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
The Residence Steward must have the necessary skills and experience to oversee all aspects of works associated with the incident free execution of the small to large events at very high standards.
- Minimum of 2 years hands-on experience as a waiter/bartender in a top level hotel or restaurant
- Knowledge of health and safety procedures
- Experience using residential and commercial tools and equipment associated with the job
- Must possess a valid food handler’s permit
- At least two years of training/experience in housekeeping and catering
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Responsive to customer needs and able to treat others with respect and courtesy regardless of work pressures
- Able to work effectively and supportively with colleagues, both individually and in a team
- Able to act with discretion at all times
- Able to effectively prioritise and a proven ability to work under pressure with limited supervision
- Excellent customer service skills and a keen attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to organize time effectively while taking into account customer/guests needs and requirements
- Basic accounting, administrative, computer, inventory/stocktaking skills would be an asset
- Level of language required: fluent in written and spoken English
The successful candidate will have the ability to work diligently, prioritise and manage multiple household tasks, have a strong commitment to effective teamwork and pay keen attention to detail to achieve high standards of presentation and hygiene. This is an exciting role for someone who would like to, further develop a wide range of hospitality skills benefiting from training provided by the High Commission.
- Formal training/certification in hospitality management, events planning, or similar discipline
- Ability to prepare floral arrangements and decorate interior spaces would be a distinct advantage
- Availability to work flexible hours, if required, and where called upon to assist with official events
- Previous relevant working experience in a diplomatic residence or equivalent is a plus
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
The British High Commission has an active Learning and Development Committee and encourages staff to take advantage of opportunities for personal development, both in Jamaica and more widely.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and enriching learning and development opportunities.
This opportunity is closed to applications.