View Vacancy - SH- Senior Trade and Investment Officer (Automotive) B3 (L)
This is an exciting role for an enthusiastic, proactive and flexible individual to be our Senior Trade and Investment Officer focusing on Automotive. Working closely with colleagues as part of the Innovation and Industry Directorate, you will play a key role in supporting the DIT China region (Mainland China & Hong Kong) achieve its objectives as articulated in the Regional Trade Plan, of which the over- arching ambitions are:
Objective 1 - Driving and inspiring UK exports to China, significantly increasing the UK market share of China's goods imports, and more than double the value of UK services exports.
Objective 2 – Consistent trade policy engagement with China to achieve incremental market access, mitigate business risk and prepare for future trade deals
Objective 3 - Broadening and deepening the UK-China investment partnership, positioning the UK as the top European destination for Chinese investment and providing strong support for UK investors.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) was established by the Prime Minister in July 2016 to integrate and elevate the Trade agenda; help secure a better deal for the UK as it negotiates a successful exit from the EU; and, establish new relationships with other countries around the globe. DIT promotes British trade across the world and ensures the UK takes advantage of the huge opportunities open to us, securing and improving the economic well-being and stability of the UK, and helping to create tens of thousands of jobs every year.
Led by Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner for Mainland China and Hong Kong we are one of nine global regions and part of an overseas network that operates in 108 countries. The largest DIT overseas network in the world, with 200 staff across six posts - the British Embassy in Beijing, plus Consulates in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chongqing and Wuhan – DIT, as part of the One HMG network in Mainland China and Hong Kong, offers a fast-paced place to work at the heart of UK: China Government relations.
With a primary focus on the Automotive sector, the jobholder will both inform and manage delivery of the overarching Advanced Manufacturing and Transport strategy. In addition to Automotive, the jobholder will also be expected to provide insight and input into the Chemical sub sectors.
As our Senior Trade and Investment Officer for Automotive sector, the successful candidate will be responsible for helping UK companies win more high value business deals and exports to China, as well as securing new and increased investment from China into the UK. To achieve this, the jobholder will need to build strong relationships with key multipliers, industry bodies and business clients; identifying, designing and managing strategic campaigns, projects and visits to win support for DIT’s Export and Investment agenda. In addition to traditional trade and investment targets, the jobholder will also provide support on specific market access issues within the sector and promote UK excellence in the Chinese market.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve:
Delivering export wins and foreign direct investment targets
- Identify and analyse trends and developments in the Automotive sector in China and UK markets, and key companies in targeted sub-sectors, as well as in the external factors affecting the sector's operating environment, and use this to deliver the team’s export wins and FDI targets.
- Identify and coordinate inputs to help with the evolution of the sector strategy. Organise input of information to help raise awareness of China opportunities through specialists, Investment Organisations, Local Enterprise Partnerships etc. Sign-posting to partner organisations and other services where appropriate.
- Effective client management and pipeline building
- Take a systematic approach in identifying and building relationship with new industrial clients at different levels and look for opportunities to deploy senior officials to unlock/enhance relationships. Pro-actively identify trade & investment opportunities and develop account management plans accordingly.
- Leading on high impact campaigns, events and visits
- Advise on the design, and manage delivery and follow up of high-level campaigns, events and visits, in particular with our partners, that contribute to sector targets. Plan and manage practical and logistical aspects of important events including HMG visitor’s programmes and inward/outward missions (by Chinese companies to the UK and UK companies to China); working with partner organisations and other networks where appropriate.
Knowledge and Skills development
- Commit to continual learning, making full use of on the job opportunities to deepen your sector knowledge and understanding of the UK capability and UK/China business environment, as well as formal training for skills and personal competences most relevant to your job. This includes knowledge-sharing with colleagues across DIT and the wider Embassy/Consulate.
- Bachelor’s degree or above or equivalent;
- Business development skills;
- Experience of the UK automotive portfolio;
- Proactive and demonstrate strong willingness in taking initiative;
- Excellent in spoken and written English and Chinese;
- Basic Microsoft Office skills, including Word and Excel.
- Experience or knowledge of Automotive;
- Networks within Automotive in China or in the UK.
There is plenty of opportunity to develop on the job, and to establish expertise on trade policy. Specific areas and activities include a DSK training in the UK to better understand the local offer.
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, good leave entitlement, and insurance plan, etc. The gross starting salary (before all deductions) for this position is RMB 17,870/ month for Mainland China Nationals and an abated monthly salary of RMB 24,746/ month for British Nationals and spouses/ partners (all nationalities) of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata. Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/ week from Monday to Friday. For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website http://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate- General is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
Any other information (or specific local Post requirements):
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. You must have or be able to obtain a local work permit
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre- employment checks. Only short-listed applications will be called for personal interviews.
The Consulate- General is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
This opportunity is closed to applications.