View Vacancy - Deputy Head of Corporate Services, Nassau
Main purpose of job:
The British High Commission in Nassau is looking for a Deputy Head of Corporate Services. This role will support the Head of Corporate Services (based in Kingston) in delivering corporate services / operations for the British High Commission in Nassau, The Bahamas. Additionally, the successful applicant will take a particular leadership role in the areas of procurement, compliance, and finance and budgeting.
The successful applicant will have prior experience managing and developing staff, along with excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Proven experience in financial budgeting and analysis will be an asset, along with experience using Microsoft Office programs and Oracle-based systems.
Roles and responsibilities:
This is a fantastic and varied job working in one of the key diplomatic missions based in Nassau. You will lead for all corporate services related matters for the Bahamas, but be part of a wider corporate services team based in Kingston, who have experts on estates, IT, payroll, and so forth. You will provide the critical gateway between corporate service requirements in The Bahamas and, when necessary, delivery by those specialists elsewhere.
This is a critical role that is key for the day-to-day operations and smooth running of the corporate services.
The job offers a wide range of responsibilities, including some travel and opportunities for personal development.
Leadership and Management:
- With the Head of Corporate Services in Kingston, ensure overall efficient and effective operation of Corporate Services in Nassau, including analysis of efficiencies and implementation of agreed measures; development of management policy, motivation and influence
- Oversight and delivery of all compliance activity and reports, including the annual compliance return to HQ
- Joining all Nassau team meetings and activities
- Joining all Kingston Corporate Services meetings, and maintaining excellent relationships with the wider Kingston CS team, and wider Hubs in Mexico and New York
- Implement any audit recommendations
- Information Management Officer
- Overall strategic management of the High Commissions budget and overseeing of the Post Account (with multiple currency transactions) ensuring accurate budget expenditure, value for money, financial controls and compliance
- Liaise with finance hub in Washington
- Monthly budget and forecast reports to the High Commissioner
- Bidding for admin and capital funds each year
- Ensuring year-end spend comes in with 1% of budget
- Organising all Hera codes for admin, capital, and project budgets
- Major input into Post Country Financial Plan of MTFP
- Liaison with budget holders across Post to secure sound financial information to assist with accurate forecasts in liaison with Finance Hub
- Local Budget forecasting/management/administration. Hera inputs for Amendable Budget/Forecasting
- Spend/local budget analysis and reporting. Ring-fenced budget monitoring/reporting
- CCC/GPC approver
- Reviewing and authorising expenditure, returns and reporting
- In collaboration with Finance Hub, finalise quarterly Overseas Accounting Return
- Administrator – cash budget and cash accounting (NPA)
- Responsibility for HR issues not covered by Americas HR Hub
- Liaise with HR hub in Washington
- Liaise with HLA on HR issues
- Negotiating and overseeing terms and conditions of service for locally employed staff and ensure compliance with local labour law. Provide advice on pay review/awards liaising with HR Hub
- Monthly preparation of local staff payroll/planning including collaborating with GTPC to agree on monthly/annual submission and payment dates. Preparation of distribution Set and other documentation for uploading to SharePoint
- Prepare local staff monthly contributions - Distribution Set sent to GTPC, Documentation required by NIS prepared and uploaded online. Relevant documentation passed to CSO to expedite physical payment
- Ensure relevant staff assigned HR Position Code and added to Post Purchasing Hierarchy
- Administrator – Post Local Staff Group Health Plan
- Ensure submission of bi-annual COLA return prepared by UKBS
- Liaise with schools, protocol, etc as required on behalf of UKB in post
- Create and deliver an induction process for all newly arrived staff
- Oversee estate compliance management (including H&S and environmental provisions), ensuring the office, residential properties and official vehicles are fully compliant as required
- Liaise with estate and compliance teams in Washington and Kingston
- Working through the housekeeper/residence manager and driver, help ensure office, residential properties and official vehicles are fully operational as required, underpinned by an ongoing proactive maintenance schedule and value for money in collaboration with CSOs and Maintenance Manager
- Ensure estate services, such as internet, phone, alarms, smoke detectors, lifts, guarding, are fully operational and compliant.
- Fire Safety Manager
- Lead on Post Housing and Health & Safety roles
Procurement and Other:
- Monitor overall compliance with corporate policies and best practices on Procurement, ensuring maximum value for money at Post; including oversight of negotiations of external contracts with local suppliers and vendors.
- Liaise with procurement hub in Washington.
- Review and authorise purchase requisitions up to delegated level of authority.
- Maintenance of Post Purchasing Hierarchy.
- Review and approve addition of new suppliers to supplier database through authorisation of supplier maintenance form.
- Ensure correctness of Fixed Asset Register with timely submission of Asset Proposal Form, Asset Confirmation Form, Asset Disposal Forms, as required.
- Management Information for OGDs/PAGs.
- Manage payments to staff, suppliers including utilities.
- Approve establishment of new suppliers, requisitions, distribution sets, credit card expenditure.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- High Commission admin and payroll budget
- Experience working for an International Organisation, Government, Diplomatic or Commercial
- Qualification of a business administration/management/financial designation
- 3 years' experience in staff management and development
- Proven experience in financial budgeting and analysis
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills
- Experience in the use of MS Software
- Experience of Oracle based systems
- Ability to deal with and resolve conflict
Must have the legal status to live and work in Bahamas
- Proven ability to be flexible, adaptable, and solve problems quicky
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary, eg some non-local national staff and some spouses or partners of UK diplomatic staff, will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes generous vacation and leave time, flexible working patterns, and an enriching learning and development opportunities.
Learning and development opportunities:
The incumbent would have full access to FCDO training for Corporate Services Managers and would be supported in ensuring they had the skills they need to ensure BHC Nassau is compliant.
Standard working hours are Monday – Thursday 08:00 – 16:15, Friday 08:00 – 13:00.
However, the High Commission would consider applicants wanting to work “5 days in 4”, Monday – Thursday 08:00 – 17:30.
This opportunity is closed to applications.