View Vacancy - QAT - Government Relations Officer (AA)
The British Embassy in Doha is part of a worldwide network that represents the UK’s political, economic, security, and consular interests overseas. We are looking for a Government Relations Officer (GRO) under Corporate Services Team, job grade Administrative Assistant (AA).
British Embassy Doha
72 of us, of many different nationalities and backgrounds, work together at the British Embassy in Doha to make the United Kingdom more prosperous and more secure, and to give consular assistance to British citizens who need their Government’s help. The Corporate Services section is at the heart of the Embassy, responsible for many operations from recruitment, IT, finance, estates management and so on.
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO)
We pursue our national interests and project the UK as a force for good in the world. We promote the interests of British citizens, safeguard the UK’s security, defend our values, reduce poverty and tackle global challenges with our international partners.
FCDO brings together the best of Britain’s international effort and demonstrates the UK acting as a force for good in the world. We employ around 17,300 staff in our diplomatic and development offices worldwide In 280 overseas embassies and high commissions.
Main purpose of job:
The purpose of this role is to enable staff of the British Embassy to obtain the necessary permissions to live, work, and perform their duties and to assist the Embassy and its visitors in conducting their business in Qatar.
The jobholder will be responsible for the delivery of effective government relations duties. This is a challenging role that requires excellent interpersonal and customer handling skills. You will be responsible for making applications to and liaising with a wide range of Qatar government authorities. You will be a strong team player and will work closely with colleagues within the Protocol & Government Relations Department and Corporate Services Department to enable staff to live and work in the Qatar.
The role will report to the HR & Logistics Lead.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Dealing with Qatari authorities regarding the smooth arrival and departure of UK-based staff and Embassy VIPs/ guests.
- Receiving, recording, organising, prioritising work and updating customers on progress.
- Preparing applications for submission to Qatari authorities, the majority of which will need to be written in Arabic.
- Arranging Ministry of Foreign Affairs clearance, employment visas, health cards and Qatari IDs for staff.
- Liaising with the entities such as MoFA, Ministry of Interior (MoI), Customs, Traffic Department, and other Embassies and Consulates.
- Assisting with driving licences, alcohol licences, and vehicle registrations for diplomatic staff.
- Arranging with Customs and contractors the release of unaccompanied airfreight, heavy baggage, and cargo for UK-based staff and/ or the Embassy.
- Arranging clearances for the Diplomatic Bags.
- Obtaining visit visas for staff from other British Embassies.
- Obtaining visas from other Embassies to enable Embassy staff to carry out their duties abroad.
- Arranging meetings for Embassy officials with Qatari authorities, maintaining relationships between the Embassy and various government or official departments.
- Providing guidance about Qatar processes and procedures.
- Drafting note verbales to Qatar government departments.
- Attending VVIP movements and acting as translator when required.
- Taking part in part in Embassy’s emergency planning and response to a crisis affecting UK citizens.
The above list is not exhaustive and the jobholder will be required to be flexible and take on other ad hoc tasks as required. The job description may be reviewed to meet changes in business needs.
Candidates will need to demonstrate the following Behaviours and Diversity & Inclusion during the interview:
- Managing a Quality Service - Deliver service objectives with professional excellence, expertise and efficiency, taking account of diverse customer needs.
- Communicating and Influencing - Communicate purpose and direction with clarity, integrity and enthusiasm. Respect the needs, responses and opinions of others.
- Making Effective Decisions - Use evidence and knowledge to support accurate, expert decisions and advice. Carefully consider alternative options, implications and risks of decisions.
- Delivering at Pace - Take responsibility for delivering timely and quality results with focus and drive.
Diversity and Inclusion:
The British Embassy Doha has a zero-tolerance approach to any form of bullying, harassment or discrimination and is fully committed to ensuring a safe and inclusive work environment for all.
We are committed to valuing diversity and to equality of opportunity. Our aim is to create and promote an environment in which all staff are treated fairly and with respect, and feel able to contribute to the best of their abilities.
- Experience of working in or dealing with the Qatari Government: Immigration, Customs, MoI, and other authorities.
- Excellent communication skills in English and Arabic, both verbal and written (to be tested at interview).
- A confident communicator with excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to engage at all levels internally and with external contacts, and collaborate effectively across Embassy teams.
- Excellent customer service skills. Demonstrates courtesy and consideration in dealing with internal and external contacts.
- Strong work ethic and demonstrates high level of professionalism.
- Resourcefulness in solving problems and demonstrates good judgement.
- Ability to multi-task and respond quickly and flexibly to meet multiple and changing priorities.
- Proven record of organisational ability. Ability to prioritise and organise own workload and meet deadlines, while maintaining attention to detail and without compromising the quality of the work.
- Excellent IT skills and office administration skills, with good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, particularly MS Excel which will be used for recording data and producing reports.
- Holds a valid Qatari driving license.
- Ability to work out of hours where required, including evenings and weekends.
- Knowledge of local Qatari labour law.
- Knowledge of Immigration, Customs, and MoI laws in the Qatar.
- Holds a bachelor's degree.
Applicants must already reside in Qatar and hold the right to live and work in the country, including those under spouse sponsorship or those who are able to transfer an existing sponsorship to the British Embassy.
If sponsorship transfer is required, then all sponsorship-incurred fees shall be borne by the successful applicant. The Embassy cannot guarantee how much cost or time it may take for the process to complete.
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package, including non-negotiable salary of QAR 9,468 per calendar month and transportation allowance of QAR 800 per calendar month, paid in arrears. No accommodation nor relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
This position is for a full-time employment, on a fixed-term contract basis for two (2) years, subject to six (6) months’ probationary period.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Embassy working hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. from Sundays to Wednesdays and from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Thursdays. Some degree of flexible working can be considered for the right candidate, however due to the customer focus of this role and interaction with the Qatari authorities we would expect the job holder to be in the office on a regular basis. Some flexibility on hours will also be required, including working weekends, evenings and public holidays.
The Embassy supports flexible working including working from home for some part of the working week, and is committed to helping its staff maintain a healthy work life balance.
The Embassy has an active Continuous Professional Development Committee, and the whole of Post is committed to providing the time and resources for staff to develop professionally. The 70/20/10 learning and development model is applied flexibly, with both internal and formal opportunities readily available.
The successful applicant will follow a formal induction schedule to support their immersion into the Embassy and there are a number of mandatory on line courses that all staff are expected to complete within their first few months, along with learning specfic to areas of this role including, understanding the Embassy HR and Finance Management System (HERA).
The successful candidate will need to commence security clearance procedures through the Embassy and will be required to have or obtain the appropriate security clearance before employment commences, and maintain this throughout the period of employment.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must include 1) an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV); 2) motivation essay, in the relevant sections of the online application form, stating how you meet the requirements of the role; and 3) specific examples, in the relevant sections of the online application form, of how you meet the key behaviours and skills required.
Applications that do not include this information will not be considered.
Closing date of receiving applications is before 23:55 Qatar local time on 03 December 2023.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around 2-3 months. The security clearance process includes checks available in country and with UK, dependant on the security level required for the role and the candidates profile and UK footprint. You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign, and we are working hard to minimise any disruption.
Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful at interview may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of six (6) months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances, medical clearance and reference checks.
The British Embassy Doha is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Qatari employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.