View Vacancy - KWT - Communications and Campaigns Manager (EO)
The British Embassy in Kuwait is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual for the position of Communications and Campaigns Manager, job grade Executive Officer (EO).
This is a key position within the British Embassy's Political section, leading the UK's campaigns and communication efforts in Kuwait. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the British Embassy’s public profile and engagement with Kuwaiti and International media. This will include providing strategic oversight of all external communications, which should be tailored to reach and influence the local audience. You will need to understand and explain UK Government policy to a wide range of people in a vibrant and engaging manner. You will also provide analysis of key stories and trends in both the regional and local media, giving assessments of their impact on UK Government priorities.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Build and manage the Embassy’s relationships with local media outlets, the Ministry of Information, and communications teams within various public and private entities in Kuwait. Seek opportunities to collaborate and partner with them.
- Design and execute communications plans for visits of UK Ministers and Senior Officials as well as major Embassy events and programmes. Draft press releases, set up and write briefing for interviews, press conferences etc.
- Understand the UK’s policies and priorities, and run strategic communications campaigns promoting these, working with colleagues in different Embassy sections, London and the region, where appropriate. Ensure all communications are tailored appropriately to Kuwaiti culture and interests and engaging to specific target audiences we are looking to reach and influence.
- Monitor and analyse global and regional media stories, which impact UK Government priorities in Kuwait.
- Identify and analyse key stories in the local press, including social media, that have an impact on Embassy or wider UK interests. Provide colleagues with daily written and regular oral summaries.
- Research, analyse and report on a thematic area to ensure Embassy and UK Government colleagues in London and the region understand key developments. This will also help to shape our policy priorities.
- Spot - and provide advice on countering - disinformation that could negatively affect the UK Government’s objectives.
- Monitor, engage and report on freedom of the press and broader freedom of expression in Kuwait.
- Provide written and verbal translation from Arabic to English and English to Arabic, as required.
- Oversee the creation of content for the Embassy’s social media channels.
- Line manage 1 x Social Media and Translation Officer, covering their duties in their absence.
The above list is not exhaustive, and the jobholder will be required to be flexible and to take on other duties, projects, and ad hoc tasks as required. The jobholder will also be expected to play a full role in the Embassy’s contingency planning and any crisis response.
Key behaviours required for the job:
- Communicating and Influencing - Communicate purpose and direction with clarity, integrity and enthusiasm. Respect the needs, responses and opinions of others.
- Seeing the Bigger Picture - Understand how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives. Recognise the wider Civil Service priorities and ensure work is in the national interest.
- Working Together - Form effective partnerships and relationships with people both internally and externally, from a range of diverse backgrounds, sharing information, resources and support.
- Delivering at Pace - Take responsibility for delivering timely and quality results with focus and drive.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as long as you:
- Are legally resident in Kuwait (Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country); and
- Complete and successfully pass all local and UK security checks, including professional background checks.
- Relevant work experience in a similar field and an extensive knowledge of Kuwait’s media landscape, local culture, customs and traditions.
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to build productive working relations with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English and Arabic. Able to competently translate between the two.
- Strong team player who can act on own initiative and work independently.
- Able to organise and prioritise workload and meet deadlines and changing priorities whilst maintaining a strong attention to detail and without compromising the quality of the work.
- Good IT skills (e.g. knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes such as Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Experience in photography, videography and using video editing software.
- Strong social media skills, including experience of publishing and monitoring the performance of posts on social media accounts such as X, Instagram and Facebook.
- Experience in developing and running strategic communications campaigns.
Working conditions and remuneration:
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including a non-negotiable gross salary of KWD 1112.09 per month. The package includes a good level of medical insurance, a return flight fare to your home country for non-Kuwaitis every two years, relevant social security payments for Kuwaiti nationals, and an engaging working environment. Leave entitlement is 30 days per year (on pro rata basis) plus 14 public holidays.
There are no other allowances payable as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
This position is for a full-time employment, on permanent contract, subject to a 90-working day probationary period.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours gross per week (this is made up of 35.5 hours net per week and a daily 30-minute lunch break). The normal working hours are 07:30 – 15:30 from Sunday to Wednesday and 07:30 – 13:30 on Thursday. Due to the nature of the work, the jobholder should be flexible in their approach to hours worked as these will be dictated by operational needs and may involve working out-of-hours (evening / weekend).
The Embassy has an active Continuous Professional Development Committee, and the whole of Post is committed to providing the time and resources for staff to develop professionally. The 70/20/10 learning, and development model is applied in a flexible manner, with both internal and formal opportunities readily available. There will likely be an expectation of undertaking training specific to crisis response/management in 2023.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must include:
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Motivation essay, in the relevant sections of the online application form, stating how you meet the requirements of the role; and
- Examples in the relevant sections of the online application form, of how you meet the key behaviours and skills required.
Applications that do not include this information will not be considered.
Closing date of receiving applications is on 3 December 2023 by 23:55 hrs (local time).
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two-three months. The security clearance process includes checks available in country and with UK, dependant on the security level required for the role and the candidate's profile and UK footprint. You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign, and we are working hard to minimise any disruption.
Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful at interview may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of six (6) months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
The start date mentioned in the advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
The British Embassy Kuwait is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Kuwaiti employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.