View Vacancy - SIN- Junior Butler, S1(L)
The Junior Butler will work at Eden Hall; the High Commissioner’s official residence in Singapore. The jobholder will be supervised by Residence Manager, and will help to ensure that the daily operations at the residence run smoothly.
As part of their responsibilities, the Junior Butler will look after the pantry, storeroom, wine cellar & equipment. Therefore, the successful candidate should have previous experience in all aspects of domestic service in a residential / professional hospitality environment. They should be enthusiastic, have a cheerful disposition, be a team player and be willing to work flexible hours, which will sometimes include evenings and weekends.
This position forms part of the Residence staff team comprising of a Residence Manager, chef, junior butler and two housekeeping staff. The jobholder will be expected to help out other team members when required and carry out any additional tasks set by the Residence Manager.
- Provide administrative support to the Residence Manager and handle event correspondence in the absence of the Residence Manager
- Liaising with the Residence Manager and Chef regarding event arrangements and food service
- Setup and table setting for official and private events, in accordance with prevailing restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Manual handling e.g. moving furniture based on event requirements
- Professional service of food (competence in French and Silver Service desirable)
- Bar handling and service
- Drinks inventory and stock taking, e.g. checking pantry supplies
- Reporting maintenance jobs to Residence Manager as and when they arise
- Supporting the residence team to ensure delivery of high level hospitality service
- Washing and cleaning tableware after each dinner service
- Polishing and cleaning items including silver, door handles, lamps stands, etc.
- Greeting and sending off guests – ensuring they are made to feel welcome.
- Support event service and delivery at the British High Commission’s other representational properties as required
- Provide administrative support to the Residence Manager, including event correspondence
- Provide cover for event coordination and client liaison in the absence of the Residence Manager
- Making sure the cellar is always clean and tidy and goods are stored at the right temperature
- Maintaining an accurate stock inventory, including inventory of china, silverware & glassware
- Being knowledgeable about the liquor and other beverages that are in stock
- Informing the Residence Manager of any damages/missing beverages
- Report on shortages & requisitions through manager for replacement of equipment
- Any other duties as instructed by the line manager, e.g. running errands, moving furniture, assisting team members, basic food preparation and support to the Chef when required etc.
What we are looking for in the successful candidate:
- A strong desire to deliver a professional, effective and creative customer-focused F&B service.
- Being a confident self-starter, with proven energy and initiative in overcoming obstacles, the ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrating an eagerness to learn and develop.
- Possessing good interpersonal skills; demonstrated by the ability to build team relationships effectively.
- Being able to stay calm and deliver under pressure.
- A background in the hospitality industry, specifically in banqueting, would be useful, though not essential.
The successful candidate will be given appropriate training and guidance on the job/deliverables expected.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in service industry
- Completion of Secondary School Education
- Intermediate to advanced level English verbal and writing skills
- Excellent customer service skills and comfortable dealing with high profile guests
- Can do attitude
- Willing to work long hours as and when requested
- Fit and able to help with heavy lifting of equipment, e.g. required for the setup of events
- 2-3 years of experience in F&B 5 Star Hotel/Restaurant/Hospitality sector is preferred.
- Hands on knowledge of spirits and other beverages, e.g. Sommelier experience
- Competence in both French and Silver Service
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary of SGD 2,073 per month and annual wage supplement [an additional 2 months’ salary paid out in December each year], 23-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata and insurance plan.
Due to the Government of Singapore’s measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19, including safe distancing and travel restrictions, we are only able to accept applications from those currently resident in Singapore.
We offer time and financial support for the successful candidate to take advantage of professional learning and development opportunities inside and outside of the organisation.
The BHC has an active Learning & Development Committee which works hard to provide a comprehensive L&D offer. There is a wide range of options available for personal development including training courses, coaching and mentoring, job-shadowing, presentations and learning sets. Staff have access to a wide variety of online resources through the International Academy and Civil Service Learning. Staff are strongly encouraged to take advantage of all available opportunities.
All new hires undertake a workplace induction and there are a number of mandatory e-learning courses that must be completed in order to pass probation.
Conditioned working hours for this role are 44 hours per week. This role requires flexibility to sometimes work outside of conditioned hours, e.g. during Ministerial visits and HC events. Overtime pay will be provided in these circumstances.
Accommodation can be provided on the residence premises.
There are no relocation expenses payable in connection with this position. The selected candidate will need to secure a work permit/visa in Singapore and the High Commission will provide documentation to support this application.
Staff recruited locally by the British High Commission are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Singapore employment law.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment checks.
The British High Commission is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.
Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
Please note that your application must be submitted before 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
To those applicants not short-listed, we extend our appreciation for considering the British Government as a potential employer.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
This opportunity is closed to applications.