View Vacancy - Events and Residence Manager (FIN20.017)
The British Embassy in Helsinki is part of a world-wide network representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Events and Residence Manager who will be responsible for delivering a welcoming, flexible, professional and high quality representational platform for the promotion of Embassy objectives and UK interests. Overall management and upkeep of the Ambassador’s Residence, its staff and resources. Ensuring that the Residence is fully integrated into the wider operations of the Embassy, working closely with HMA’s and DHM’s offices and front-line teams within the Post; ensuring efficient and timely management and use of resources, providing value for money and a high-performing, motivated team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Working closely with HMA’s Office, Corporate Services and the Event Sponsor to deliver professional and cost-effective official events;
- Ensuring excellent customer service and quality delivery of all events;
- Taking a strategic overview and planning ahead to maximise profits whilst paying attention to details, setting the example for staff to deliver a standard of service and presentation that meets guests' needs and expectations;
- Exploring and developing new opportunities to use the Embassy and Residence platform, promoting the venue and increasing revenue;
- Ensuring value for money through efficient combination of flexible use of in-house resources and provision of casual labour as required;
- Handling booking forms, checking availability and planning events with the Residence team;
- Printing/sending invitations and preparing place cards and menus as required;
- Waiting at events as required;
- Supporting the chef/kitchen during larger events or staff absences;
- Organising large scale events such as the Queen’s Birthday Party with particular attention to budgets, innovative ideas, leading the team, compiling and managing guest lists, liaison with contractors.
- Ensuring the Residence (house and grounds) provides a professional, attractive and welcoming venue for guests and official functions;
- Liaison with Estates team on repairs, scheduled maintenance and long-term works;
- Liaison with external contractors and general set-up for events;
- Oversight of the cleanliness and neatness of guest rooms and facilities;
- Working together with the Estates team and grounds manager, oversight of maintenance of the garden areas of the Embassy compound and longer-term garden remediation;
- Assistance with cleaning duties when necessary.
- Managing budgets and financial plans as well as controlling expenditure;
- Ensuring all events are delivered in a cost effective way within budget;
- Maintaining statistical and financial records;
- Provision of timely and accurate financial reporting regarding events and all other related costs;
- Increasing revenue and setting profit targets;
- Completing budget amendments and forecasting.
- Proving leadership, motivation, direction and support to the Residence Team (4 staff);
- Applying proper performance management procedures; ensuring staff get regular feedback, issues/problems are effectively dealt with and that staff appraisals are completed on time;
- Setting, communicating and maintaining timelines and priorities with the team;
- Organising and supervising the shifts of kitchen and waiting staff.
Supporting HMA’s Executive Assistant
- Covering the essential tasks of the EA during leave periods (calendar management, invitation processes, providing efficient support to the HMA and DHM as necessary).
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral, in Finnish and English;
- Confidence to work with a variety of contacts at all levels;
- Confidence to build and engage an effective network of contacts;
- At least 3 years of events management experience;
- Attention to detail, strong organisational and time management skills, including the ability to prioritise;
- Flexible, resilient under pressure, and decisive, with the ability to deliver quickly and to a high standard;
- A collaborative approach to team working;
- Demonstrable experience of team management skills.
- Experience of working in an international context;
- Strong IT skills, including use of Microsoft Office tools;
- Swedish language, oral and written, is an advantage;
- An understanding of UK culture.
This is a full-time permanent contract of 36.25 hours per week.
The annual leave entitlement is 20 days, increasing to 25 days after one year’s service. Leave for temporary, contract or hourly-paid staff is also calculated on a pro-rata basis. The Embassy pays an annual holiday bonus. Embassy employees are entitled to a private medical scheme for basic healthcare services and to use the Embassy’s recreational facilities.
The appointment is subject to security clearance and the successful completion of a probationary period.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Finland. The British Embassy does not sponsor for work permits.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Finland are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Finnish employment law and FCO guidance for Local Staff.
Visa / Passport requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Finland and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract. Additional requirements may become necessary pending EU Exit. If requirements change additional eligibility information will be shared during the recruitment process.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.