View Vacancy - General Foreman A2 (L) (02/20 NR)
Roles and responsibilities
Responsible for scheduling, coordinating and supervising the technical work of all site operatives, ensuring that all work is delivered safely, on time and within budget along with managing equipment and materials required.
The foreman is also responsible for planning works within the Estate including detailing time frames and staging of works and identifying associated costs to complete the works. They will be responsible for establishing the bill of materials for each job and identifying large projects that should be escalated through the Forward Maintenance Register (FMR).
The Foreman will jointly line manage, with another A2 Foreman, the Technical Works Group (TWG) comprising of painters, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, and masons.
- Conduct proactive surveys of properties anticipated to be vacated with a projected outlook of at least 12 months.
- Detailed surveys identifying scope of works required, estimated time frames and scheduling, staffing requirements and bill of materials
- Escalating larger works identified during surveys to the Deputy Estates Manager and Technical Works Supervisor for placement on the FMR for funding
Supervision of TWG Works:
- Provide day to day oversite of work taking place across the estate. Work with TWG colleagues on scheduling and inspection of works.
- Provide clear guidance and demonstrate best practice in work
- First point of contact for complaint resolution and updating with the customer through the Corporate Services Helpdesk (CSHelpdesk)
- Oversee workloads and coordinate with the TWG Admin Officer on job allocations and managing of workloads.
- Identify needs for additional staff, coverage during long periods of absence and movement of staff between projects.
- Prioritising of work with the TWG Admin Officer and Team Leaders to ensure equitable assignment of work in priority ranking
- Set out the programme of works and oversite of contractors hired to complete technical works on behalf of the BHC.
- Monitor progress through a schedule of works and address non-compliance
- Spot check quality of work with contractors and ensure they are compliance with BHC requirements
- Directly line manage 4 x A1 Team Leaders (Lead Plumber, Lead Electrician, Lead Mason & Painter, Lead Carpenter)
- Counter-signing manager to 19 skilled A1 and S1 Tradesman
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
1 A1 Plumbing Team Leader
1 A1 Carpentry Team Leader
1 A1 Mason & Painting Team Leader
1 A1 Electrician Team Leader
- Minimum 5 years’ experience overseeing technical works and management of technical projects
- Project Management Experience
- Line Management Experience and Team Leadership
- General Knowledge of Works/Construction
- Experience or Training in Masonry, Carpentry, Generator Maintenance and general works
The office hours are 07:00 - 17:30 Monday to Thursday and 07:30 – 16:00 on Fridays.
Members of staff are entitled to paid annual leave, which is earned, from the day they commence employment. Entitlements are as follows:
Grades A2 (L) 25 days
In addition to annual leave, the BHC normally observes no fewer than 9 and no more than 14 Kenyan and British public and religious holidays in a year. These vary from year to year and are at the discretion of the High Commissioner. A list of holidays is published each year.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Nairobi are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Kenya.
- It is essential that the applicants already have the right to live and work in Kenya without the need to apply for a work permit
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
This opportunity is closed to applications.