View Vacancy - KWT - DBT - International Trade Advisor (AO)
The British Embassy in Kuwait is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual for the position of International Trade Advisor, job grade Administrative Officer (AO) under the Department for Business and Trade (DBT).
DBT is the UK Government’s department for economic growth. We promote British trade and investment across the world, support UK business overseas, and attract foreign investment to our shores. We have over 3,000 staff across the globe in over 100 countries.
DBT divides the world into nine (9) regions, each led by His Majesty’s Trade Commissioner (HMTC). The Middle East and Pakistan (MEaP) region is led from Dubai and represents 11 markets with a team of some 110 staff.
We are looking for a highly capable individual to deliver a high standard of trade and investment support to British companies looking to enter or expand their presence in the Kuwait market. The jobholder will be the Department for Business and Trade, International Trade Advisor for Kuwait.
This is a key role in the team and this position will see you exposed to Ministers and CEOs of large companies and therefore strong communication skills and a high level of resilience and persistence are essential, alongside excellent drafting skills and the ability to turn round work quickly and under pressure. The role also involves working closely with senior managers to ensure that the DBT team provides first class support to UK companies looking to work and trade in Kuwait.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Manage the DBT enquiries inbox; responding to market entry enquiries, seeking assistance in searching for a local trade partner or market requirements such as local regulation. You will need to be adaptable, providing credible advice to a range of diverse companies. You will NOT be expected to be an expert in every sector, but will naturally acquire knowledge and networks over time, particularly in Creative, Sports Economy and Education.
- Support building a strong pipeline of export projects from at least (2) two key sectors, especially those aligned with the concept of Kuwait 2035 Vision. Carrying out research on specific companies and key stakeholders as required to identify projects and opportunities for UK exporters.
- Help plan, organise, and participate in trade and investment-promotion events, including seminars, conferences, and networking sessions that showcase the benefits of exporting from and investing into the UK to companies and trading families in Kuwait.
- Conduct as necessary and as directed by the Director comprehensive market research to identify new companies with the potential to expand in Kuwait. Conduct research for the team including policy reports, analysis of trends and background for meetings, and market access trade barriers. Build strong relationships with the relevant teams across DBT.
- Provide administrative support to the Country Director in relation to trade and investment work, including knowledge management, tracking interactions, and monitoring KPIs.
- Support the wider work of DBT Kuwait team and other Embassy sections when required, including regional engagement, internal coordination and planning, events, analysis and briefing, and contribute to the corporate objectives of the British Embassy in Kuwait, as well as supporting the trade team’s external engagement: mapping stakeholders and tracking meetings by drafting policy and biography briefings for meetings.
- Collaborate with other Embassy colleagues covering trade and economic policy, climate change and science and innovation in particular, identifying synergies and contributing to shared goals across the Mission as well as positioning UK companies for future commercial opportunities.
- GREAT Campaign Champion and Marketing Liaison for post. Despatch monthly highlights/Visual Highlights/ update Forward Plan and remain brand compliant. Take a lead on social media handle for DBT Kuwait.
- Act as translator/interpreter and providing assistance in drafting/typing documents in Arabic as and when required. In addition, provide Press/Summary briefs to the Director and the DBT team on opportunities and news in Arabic media.
- Provide assistance during high-level visits and trade missions.
- On occasion, attend out of hours social networking functions; supporting Director DBT and wider Embassy in developing and maintaining relationship with wider local commercial contacts.
- Map and attend relevant trade fairs and exhibitions in Kuwait and overseas promoting opportunities in Kuwait market to UK companies as and when necessary.
Wider Embassy Activities
- Contribute towards wider Embassy activities and crisis preparedness.
- Assist the Embassy team in making arrangements for VVIP visits as required.
The above list is not exhaustive, and the jobholder will be required to be flexible and take on other ad hoc tasks as required, including participating in the Embassy’s emergency planning and any response to a crisis.
Key behaviours required for the job:
- Managing a Quality Service: Deliver service objectives with professional excellence, expertise and efficiency, taking account of diverse customer needs.
- Delivering at Pace: Take responsibility for delivering timely and quality results with focus and drive.
- Working Together: Form effective partnerships and relationships with people both internally and externally, from a range of diverse backgrounds, sharing information, resources and support.
- Making Effective Decisions: Use evidence and knowledge to support accurate, expert decisions and advice. Carefully consider alternative options, implications and risks of decisions.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as long as you:
- Are legally resident in Kuwait (Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the legal requirements to live and work in this country); and
- Complete and successfully pass all local and UK security checks, including professional background checks.
- At least (2) years' experience in a relevant field.
- Knowledge of local business customs, practices and procedures as well as commercial regulations and restrictions.
- Knowledge of commercial sectors and markets.
- Excellent organisational ability, with proven ability to manage, plan, and prioritise tasks and workload, and a proactive approach to problem solving.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English and Arabic, able to express ideas and messages clearly and concisely, both orally and in written communication.
- Strong oral, written, interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Excellent IT skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, Outlook and internet-based applications.
- Holds at least a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Knowledge of Kuwait Ministries and Government Entities.
- Previous experience working for a government department.
- Private sector experience in managing large scale projects either in infrastructure or smart cities.
Working conditions and remuneration:
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including a non-negotiable gross salary of KWD 769.32 per month. The package includes a good level of medical insurance, a return flight fare to your home country for non-Kuwaitis every two years, relevant social security payments for Kuwaiti nationals, and an engaging working environment. Leave entitlement is 30 days per year (on pro rata basis) plus 14 public holidays.
There are no other allowances payable as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
This position is for a full-time employment, on a (2) two years fixed term contract, subject to a 90-working day probationary period.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours gross per week (this is made up of 35.5 hours net per week and a daily 30-minute lunch break). The normal working hours are 07:30 – 15:30 from Sunday to Wednesday and 07:30 – 13:30 on Thursday. Due to the nature of the work, the jobholder should be flexible in their approach to hours worked as these will be dictated by operational needs and may involve working out-of-hours (evening / weekend) during events for which you will be expected to be present. In where out of hours work is necessary, in agreement with the line manager, the jobholder would be expected to work shorter hours in the week.
The Embassy has an active Continuous Professional Development Committee, and the whole of Post is committed to providing the time and resources for staff to develop professionally. The 70/20/10 learning, and development model is applied in a flexible manner, with both internal and formal opportunities readily available. There will likely be an expectation of undertaking training specific to crisis response/management in 2023.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must include:
- an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- motivation essay, in the relevant sections of the online application form, stating how you meet the requirements of the role; and
- examples, in the relevant sections of the online application form, of how you meet the key behaviours and skills required.
Applications that do not include this information will not be considered.
Closing date of receiving applications is on 20th October 2023 by 23:55 hrs (local time).
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two-three months. The security clearance process includes checks available in country and with UK, dependant on the security level required for the role and the candidates profile and UK footprint. You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign, and we are working hard to minimise any disruption.
Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful at interview may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of six (6) months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
The start date mentioned in the advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
The British Embassy Kuwait is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Kuwaiti employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.