View Vacancy - QAT - Corporate Services Manager (HEO)
The British Embassy in Doha is part of a worldwide network that represents the UK’s political, economic, security, and consular interests overseas. We are looking for a Corporate Services Manager, job grade Higher Executive Officer (HEO).
British Embassy Doha
72 of us, of many different nationalities and backgrounds, work together at the British Embassy in Doha to make the United Kingdom more prosperous and more secure, and to give consular assistance to British citizens who need their Government’s help. The Corporate Services section is at the heart of the Embassy, responsible for many operations from recruitment, IT, finance, estates management and so on.
Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO)
We pursue our national interests and project the UK as a force for good in the world. We promote the interests of British citizens, safeguard the UK’s security, defend our values, reduce poverty and tackle global challenges with our international partners.
FCDO brings together the best of Britain’s international effort and demonstrates the UK acting as a force for good in the world. We employ around 17,300 staff in our diplomatic and development offices worldwide In 280 overseas embassies and high commissions.
Main purpose of job:
To provide leadership and motivation to the Corporate Services Team, developing an efficient and professional team that delivers high quality support services to all users of the Embassy platform.
You will be report directly to the Deputy Head of Mission and be responsible for recommending, and implementing cost-effective innovations to the Ambassador and Senior Leadership team, to achieve value for money and greater efficiency across your team and the wider Embassy.
You will lead on HR issues, and coordinate recruitment across the Embassy to ensure vacancies are filled in a timely manner. You will support cross Embassy work to promote wellbeing of all staff working at the British Embassy, promoting inclusivity, engagement and challenge.
Roles and responsibilities:
You will ensure the diverse needs of different UK government departments operating on the Embassy platform are met, and provide inspiring and inclusive leadership of the Corporate Services Team. You will use your strong interpersonal and management skills to support your team’s delivery of consistently high standards across finance, procurement, HR, estate management and logistics. Developing strong relationships with corporate services colleagues in the FCDO in London and in our service hubs, as well as with your counterparts in the region and across the FCDO global network.
You will be the senior lead on all things corporate supporting the Ambassador and Deputy Head of Mission and ensuring they have full visibility of all corporate delivery. You will lead to drive forward change, improving the effectiveness and efficiency of the Embassy’s operations, increasing output and improving financial and procedural compliance.
You will often be required to resolve complex technical and/or managerial problems and will have considerable discretion to take decisions on the direction of corporate services work across the Embassy.
Your main duties will include:
- Cross-Embassy Leadership: working with the Ambassador and the Senior Leadership Team you will oversee implementation of centrally led Corporate priorities, engaging colleagues in the FCDO to ensure the Embassy has the staff, resources and policies in place to deliver changing political priorities. You will play a central role as member of a number of embassy-wide Committees, leading by example to ensure full participation from the Corporate Services Team and across the wider Embassy.
- Strategic Budget Management: you will ensure all spend delivers value for money in support of Embassy objectives, with responsibility for overseeing all financial bids and returns and, where necessary, making recommendations on the most effective use of limited resources. You will provide strategic guidance to the Finance Manager to ensure accurate forecasting and spend (F/Y 23/24 budget of £2.4m); you will also support the Finance Manager to at the monthly budget review meetings with the Ambassador; and ensure financial compliance, including through spot checks and challenging suppliers.
- Estate Management: you will provide leadership and strategic oversight to the Estates Team and Facilities Management Provider to ensure the embassy maximises the benefits of our buildings and wider estate, while also meeting health and safety standards. You will ensure all UK based staff are housed appropriately, in line with the Residential Accommodation Policy and provide senior oversight of the facilities management contract (FY 23/24 value of £2.4m) ensuring value for money and high service standards are maintained by the contractor.
- Human Resources Leadership: you will provide evidence-based advice to the Ambassador and Deputy on all strategic HR issues and, through your team, ensure their decisions are implemented. Within this, key roles will include recruitment; performance management; induction processes; salaries and performance pay; appraisal quality control. You will be the senior point of contact for the Regional HR Hub in Abu Dhabi, ensuring they are providing our staff with a consistently high quality support.
- Government Relations: you will engage with senior MFA contacts in support of your team to ensure that the local processes are understood, and followed without disrupting Embassy working practises.
- Crisis preparedness: as a member of the Crisis Management Committee you will play a key role in ensuring that the Embassy is fully prepared for any crisis, coordinating preparedness across the Corporate Services team and taking the lead on logistics and staff welfare during a crisis.
The above list is not exhaustive and the jobholder will be required to be flexible and take on other ad hoc tasks as required. The job description may be reviewed to meet changes in business needs.
Candidates will need to demonstrate the following Behaviours and Diversity & Inclusion during the interview:
- Changing and Improving - Seek out opportunities to create effective change and suggest innovative ideas for improvement. Review ways of working, including seeking and providing feedback.
- Leadership - Show pride and passion for public service. Create and engage others in delivering a shared vision. Value difference, diversity and inclusion, ensuring fairness and opportunity for all.
- Managing a Quality Service - Deliver service objectives with professional excellence, expertise and efficiency, taking account of diverse customer needs.
- Making Effective Decisions - Use evidence and knowledge to support accurate, expert decisions and advice. Carefully consider alternative options, implications and risks of decisions.
Diversity and Inclusion:
The British Embassy Doha has a zero-tolerance approach to any form of bullying, harassment or discrimination and is fully committed to ensuring a safe and inclusive work environment for all.
We are committed to valuing diversity and to equality of opportunity. Our aim is to create and promote an environment in which all staff are treated fairly and with respect, and feel able to contribute to the best of their abilities.
- Experience in managing cross-functional teams and budgets
- High levels of discretion, with a resilient, flexible and ‘can do’ attitude
- A record of accomplishment of strong delivery in customer facing roles
- Ability to develop trusted relationships with senior managers and junior staff
- Working knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage but this should not preclude applicants with no Arabic language skills from applying
- Experience of change management
- Understanding of local labour law
- Previous experience of working for an Embassy or other international organisation
Applicants must already reside in Qatar and hold the right to live and work in the country, including those under spouse sponsorship or those who are able to transfer an existing sponsorship to the British Embassy.
If sponsorship transfer is required, then all sponsorship-incurred fees shall be borne by the successful applicant. The Embassy cannot guarantee how much cost or time it may take for the process to complete.
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package, including non-negotiable salary of QAR 24,998 per calendar month and transportation allowance of QAR 800 per calendar month, paid in arrears. No accommodation nor relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
This position is for a full-time employment, on a fixed-term contract basis for two (2) years, subject to six (6) months’ probationary period.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Embassy working hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. from Sundays to Wednesdays and from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Thursdays. Due to the nature of the work, some degree of flexible working can be considered for the right candidate, however due to the customer focus of this role we would expect the jobholder to be in the office on a regular basis. Some flexibility on hours will also be required, including working weekends, evenings and public holidays.
The Embassy supports flexible working including working from home for some part of the working week, and is committed to helping its staff maintain a healthy work life balance.
The Embassy has an active Continuous Professional Development Committee, and the whole of Post is committed to providing the time and resources for staff to develop professionally. The 70/20/10 learning and development model is applied flexibly, with both internal and formal opportunities readily available.
The successful applicant will follow a formal induction schedule to support their immersion into the Embassy and there are a number of mandatory on line courses that all staff are expected to complete within their first few months, along with learning specific to areas of this role including, understanding the Embassy HR and Finance Management System (HERA). As a senior leader within the mission you will also be expected to undertake training on crisis management/response.
The successful candidate will need to commence security clearance procedures through the Embassy and will be required to have or obtain the appropriate security clearance before employment commences, and maintain this throughout the period of employment.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must include 1) an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV); 2) motivation essay, in the relevant sections of the online application form, stating how you meet the requirements of the role; and 3) specific examples, in the relevant sections of the online application form, of how you meet the key behaviours and skills required.
Applications that do not include this information will not be considered.
Closing date of receiving applications is before 23:55 Qatar local time on 22 October 2023.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around 2-3 months. The security clearance process includes checks available in country and with UK, dependant on the security level required for the role and the candidates profile and UK footprint. You may experience some delay in the progress of this recruitment campaign, and we are working hard to minimise any disruption.
Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful at interview may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of six (6) months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances, medical clearance and reference checks.
The British Embassy Doha is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Qatari employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.