View Vacancy - DXB - Pro Consul (AO)
The British Embassy Dubai has a vacancy for a Pro Consul in the UAE Consular Team on a fixed-term contract for three (3) years.
Our purpose is to support British people living, travelling and working in our region by: providing high quality, accessible consular services, focused on those most in need; responding rapidly to all crises, leading cross-government action; and reducing preventable incidents affecting British people through collaboration with partners and governments.
Reporting to the Vice Consul, the main purpose of the role is to ensure that British Nationals receive a professional, high-quality service and that advice provided is accurate, timely, and consistent, and offered in a sensitive manner and in line with Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) guidance. This will include developing and maintaining contacts with local authorities and in the community, providing notarial and documentary services, and taking part in our communications and prevention work.
In response to local or regional crisis, the jobholder will play a key role in the section’s response and deployment.
The successful candidates will need to be a self-starter, highly motivated, and have excellent interpersonal and office management skills.
Consular work can sometimes be emotionally challenging, distressing, and of a sensitive nature. The jobholders will therefore be expected to demonstrate high levels of personal resilience and maintain absolute consular confidentiality and impartiality.
Duties and responsibilities:
Provide professional and efficient Consular service
- Provide accurate advice and assistance in a sensitive manner to British Nationals (BNs) and their families via face-to-face, telephone, or email on a range of issues such as: arrests/ detention, hospitalisations, supporting bereaved families, mental health, child custody issues, debt and employment issues, and other sensitive cases such as sexual assault or forced marriage.
- Maintain accurate and concise case records of services provided on consular databases.
- Ensure all customer correspondence are replied to in a timely and efficient way, providing consistent, accurate information in accordance with FCDO guidelines.
- Be prepared to work out of hours, occasionally anti-social hours, as required.
- Take part in the Embassy emergency planning and any response to a crisis affecting UK citizens.
- Administering the appointment system.
- Provide counter services including notarial work and Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs), ensuring consistent customer service to BNs.
- Collecting fees, cashing up, and other financial requirement.
- Ensure deadlines for Returns and Management Information are met.
Prevention Communications and Outreach
- Working to help to deliver high quality local prevention and communications work, working closely with the Embassy’s Press/ Communications Team and other senior stakeholders. Producing materials, using social media and attending events.
- Monitor changes in local procedures and practices, ensuring that all information and guidance for BNs reflects changes and is up to date, e.g. service providers, lawyers list, travel advice, web pages.
The above list is not exhaustive, and the jobholders will be required to be flexible and take on other ad hoc tasks as required.
Key behaviours required:
- Delivering at Pace - Take responsibility for delivering timely and quality results with focus and drive.
- Making Effective Decisions - Use evidence and knowledge to support accurate, expert decisions and advice. Carefully consider alternative options, implications and risks of decisions.
- Managing a Quality Service - Deliver service objectives with professional excellence, expertise and efficiency, taking account of diverse customer needs.
- Changing and Improving - Seek out opportunities to create effective change and suggest innovative ideas for improvement. Review ways of working, including seeking and providing feedback.
- Consular work can sometimes be stressful and of a sensitive nature. The jobholder will therefore be expected to maintain absolute consular confidentiality and impartiality at all times.
- Excellent customer care skills and the ability to respond to a range of customers’ needs.
- Excellent interpersonal and active listening skills, with the ability to cultivate and maintain a range of contacts at all levels.
- A team player who is capable of working on their initiative and who is adaptable to changing priorities. Must be able to work and act without close supervision.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken. Able to express ideas and messages clearly and concisely, both orally and in written communication.
- IT literate and well versed in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams) and with accurate typing skills.
- Previous Consular or related experience/ training, or experience of working in an operational delivery or customer service role.
- Previous experience of creating engaging outreach content, use of social media and other platforms.
- Arabic language skills, both written and spoken.
Working hours and remuneration:
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, which includes 25 days of leave per annum (calculated pro-rata)
Salary is at AED 12,581 per month.
There are no other allowances payable as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
The Embassy is open from Monday to Friday, from 07:30 to 18:00. Conditioned working hours are 35 hours per week and specific working hours for this role will be confirmed at a later time.
The successful candidate will be required to transfer their visa under the Embassy's sponsorship.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must include to their online application form
- an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- a covering letter/ motivation essay stating how you meet the requirements of the role
- Examples in the relevant sections of the online application form of how you meet the key behaviours and skills required.
Applications that do not include this information will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is at 23:55 UAE local time on 25th October 2023.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two – three months.
Due to the large number of applications, we receive, only those shortlisted for the next step of the recruitment process will be contacted.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an assessment and then a panel interview. Assessments and interviews will be done remotely if the existing situation determines this to be the right course of action.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
Appointable candidates who were unsuccessful may be placed on a ‘reserve list’. If during the reserve period of 6 months the same or a largely similar role becomes available, that role may be offered to the second or subsequent candidate.
The British Embassy Dubai an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.