View Vacancy - Trade Adviser
The British Embassy, Kuwait has a vacancy for the post of a Trade Adviser, Grade – A2 (L).
Purpose of the job:
Based in the British Embassy Kuwait, the successful candidate will work in the Department for International Trade (DIT) and support the Director DIT and wider team members.
As a member of the DIT team, he/she will contribute to DIT HQ’s target of increasing the number of exporters and value and volume of exports by 2020. The role provides excellent developmental opportunities in terms of developing a sector and growing the UK’s market share.
It is important that the candidate possess good communication skills including report writing and interpreting data and statistics into report form. There will be a requirement from time to time to work outside of normal working hours and travel overseas for training, briefing and representing the DIT team in Kuwait at exhibitions, trade fairs and seminars.
Duties and responsibilities:
Sector Lead – (35%)
- Proactively meet with Kuwaiti retail firms and grow network of contacts in the sector with the aim of identifying opportunities for UK retail brands and growing the UK share in the market. Post the opportunities on DIT portal and submit responses. Deliver at least one major event in the sector and introduce at least one new brand to the market before end of the year.
GREAT Campaign / Marketing Liaison – (20%)
- GREAT Campaign Champion and Marketing Liaison for post. Despatch monthly highlights/Visual Highlights/ update Forward Plan and remain brand compliant. Take a lead on twitter handle for DIT Kuwait.
Team support – (40%)
- Providing administrative support to DIT Director
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports on team stats and figures from Data-Hub
- Completing full procurement activities for DIT (FCO procurement programme), receiving/returning PO’s and setting up of new suppliers on the system.
- Managing the DIT enquiries inbox and mailbox;
- Acting as translator/interpreter and providing assistance in drafting/typing documents in Arabic as and when required.
- Providing assistance during high level visits and trade missions.
- Providing support to pull together events led by team members.
Representational duties – (5%)
- On occasion attend out of hours social networking functions; supporting Director DIT and wider Embassy in developing and maintaining relationship with wider local commercial contacts.
- Attend relevant trade fairs and exhibitions in Kuwait and overseas promoting opportunities in Kuwait market to UK companies.
Key Competences Required for the Job:
- Delivering at Pace: Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Managing a Quality Service: Effectiveness in this area is about valuing and modelling professional excellence and expertise to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Collaborating and Partnering: People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Making Effective Decisions: Effectiveness in this area is about being objective; using sound judgment, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English and Arabic.
- Strong oral, written, interpersonal and analytical skills
- Degree level education
- Knowledge of local business customs, practices and procedures as well as commercial regulations and restrictions
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in a similar field
- Knowledge of commercial sectors and markets
- Good general IT skills: use of word processing, email and calendar management (eg, knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes such as Word, Excel and Outlook). Internet-based research skills.
- Knowledge of Kuwait Ministries and Government Entities advantage.
Working Conditions and Remuneration:
The position is full-time, at 38 hours a week with considerations of flexibility depending on circumstances. The successful candidate will be expected to start work as soon as possible depending on the outcome of the security clearance.
Pay is on the Embassy A2 (L) scale, at KD 667 per month depending on candidate’s skills and experience. The package also includes a good level of health insurance and an engaging working environment.
We offer opportunities to develop professional skills through our Learning & Development offer. Leave entitlement is 30 days (pro-rated) plus 14 public holidays.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as along as you:
- Are legally resident in Kuwait;
- Complete local security checks.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
1. An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
2. Please state why you would like to work for the Department for International Trade in the motivation section of the online application form.
3. A covering letter providing examples of performance in each competency mentioned in the advert.
** (Applications that do not include the above stated information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 22 April 2018.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of applications we receive only those shortlisted for assessment/interview will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks. The appointment will also only be confirmed after a successful 3-months’ probation period.
The British Embassy Kuwait is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staffs recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Kuwaiti employment law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.