View Vacancy - Driver, British Embassy Washington
Main purpose of job
We are seeking an experienced and flexible driver to join our team within the Chancery at the British Embassy in Washington, DC. The successful applicant will be responsible for providing a professional and secure transportation service for senior staff and visitors.
What will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
- Minimum 6 years driving experience with impeccable driving record and clean licence.
- Experience driving Diplomatic, Military or Senior personnel preferred.
- Good customer service and communication skills for dealing with people at all levels.
- Good IT and Telephony skills, for scheduling and maintaining visit details, booking travel and managing electronic calendar entries.
- Willingness to be flexible with hours worked i.e. early starts, late finishes when required and to take time off to balance this out when not so busy.
- Preferred good knowledge of DC Metro area.
- You will be required to go through an enhanced vetting/security process.
- Completion of driver training.
- Flexibility to perform adhoc office duties as required.
- Provide transportation to all levels of Diplomatic, Military and VIP personnel.
- Support visit co-ordinator in the planning and timing of trips.
- Full compliance with Embassy Transport Policy.
- Responsible for maintenance of 1 office vehicle.
- Enquiring about and scheduling of business flights and other travel for office colleagues.
Essential on arrival: Impeccable driving record with a clean driving licence.
Desirable: Enhanced Driver Training
Under US State Department requirements, the UK Government in the US may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or A visa holders with EAD cards. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All selected candidates are subject to background checks and will require a security clearance prior to starting work.
***Due to the security of this position you must hold a passport from at least one of the following countries: UK, US, Canada, Australia or New Zealand***
Learning and development opportunities:
There will be opportunities to take Advanced driver training and to further develop your office based skills.
Some driving duties may require the driver to make an early start or a late finish so there will be the option of flexible start/finish times to accommodate this.
The UK Government operating in the US offers a substantial benefits package including generous leave, a choice of medical insurance, 401(k) matching up to 7%, extensive learning opportunities and a great work/life balance.
Staff recruited locally are subject to terms and conditions of service in accordance with US, state, and/or local employment law.
Internal candidates must inform their supervisor before they apply to a different position.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other criterion protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.