View Vacancy - Butler, British Embassy Washington
Main purpose of job
The British Ambassador’s Residence includes a wide variety of staff who serve the Ambassador, his/her family, visitors and guests. This important team ensures the successful and smooth operation of a wide-ranging programme of events including dinners, receptions, VIP visits, breakfast meetings etc. These occasions require the utmost in professionalism to support this integral part of diplomatic life. The Butler plays an essential role in this team and reports directly to the Head Butler. There is the possibility of this being a live in position.
What will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
- Professional food service, with competences in both French Service and Silver service.
- Valeting for the Ambassador and Residence guests. Proficient in the care and maintenance of clothing including packing, unpacking, and ensuring that all parts of the wardrobe (shoes, ties, evening wear, etc.) are in top condition. Attention to detail in pressing and maintaining suits, trousers, and jackets, as well as polishing shoes for the Ambassador and guests.
- Maintain all silverware, glassware, and china cutlery.
- Prepare, set up, provide service and clear away all meals and events.
- Answer telephone and doorbell, receive and announce guests.
- Greet houseguests, attend to their needs during their stay, and facilitate their departure (luggage, help with taxi, etc)
- Ensure the checklist for guest rooms is carried out before a houseguest arrives and assist in helping to resolve any issues.
- Maintain professional appearance and demeanour at all times (i.e. neat and clean uniform).
- Assist the Head Butler in training and supervising extra staff brought in for events.
- Set-up and staging of guests’ bedrooms and Ambassador’s apartment.
- Fireplace duties: such as stocking firewood, lighting fires.
- Work with the Residence Team to uphold the highest level of household standards.
- Perform miscellaneous duties, as directed by the Residence Manager and/or Head Butler (i.e., running errands, moving furniture, assisting other team members).
Essential on arrival:
- Hold a valid US drivers licence.
- Professional appearance.
- Experience with Silver Service and French Service.
- High school diploma.
- Certificate or degree from hotel/culinary school.
- Knowledge of British traditions and UK culture (i.e. British food/drinks, colloquialisms, British Public Holidays and celebrations).
- A positive attitude and excellent customer service skills are essential. Candidate should be passionate about performing this job to the best of his/her ability.
- Candidate should work well under pressure, take initiative, and be a problem solver.
- Attention to detail, flexibility and effective decision-making skills.
- A strong team player and the ability to work independently.
- The utmost in discretion and confidentiality.
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends and Public Holidays, as and when required.
Desirable: Knowledge of wine.
Under US State Department requirements, the UK Government in the US may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or A visa holders with EAD cards. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All selected candidates are subject to background checks and will require a security clearance prior to starting work.
The UK Government operating in the US offers a substantial benefits package including generous leave, a choice of medical insurance, 401(k) matching up to 7%, extensive learning opportunities and a great work/life balance.
Staff recruited locally are subject to terms and conditions of service in accordance with US, state, and/or local employment law.
Internal candidates must inform their Line Manager before applying for this position.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other criterion protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.