View Vacancy - Business Development Executive
Main purpose of job
The role of Business Development Executive is to assist in identifying and developing foreign direct investment (FDI) leads, as well as trade opportunities for Welsh companies, across Canada. Expected outputs are the identification, and subsequent pursuit, of quality FDI leads, business networks, and profitable trade opportunities.
The role also requires an ability to assist in the wider representational requirements of the WG in Canada. The WG has extensive responsibility for a broad range of matters in Wales, from education and sustainability, to climate change and tourism. The successful applicant will help promote links between Wales and Canada across these areas, as well as more generally in governmental, academic, and cultural fields.
Roles and responsibilities
- Support the Head of Canada in identifying, developing and delivering new, quality inward investment projects.
- Help the WG to develop strong networking relationships with decision makers and intermediaries across Canada.
- Work with the Head of Canada, and other members of the WG North America team, to identify, develop and help to deliver incremental investment from existing investors.
- Work closely with trade development colleagues in Wales to provide information and guidance for Welsh exporters, including advice on local trading conditions, market intelligence, key sector contacts, and bespoke research.
- Take responsibility for information management across the WG’s activities in Canada, by logging and updating budgets, business cases, reports, and FDI project pipelines.
- Work with trade development colleagues to help organise and deliver trade missions, liaising with UK Government networks, as well as local trade organisations and groups as appropriate.
- Attend and utilise conferences, events, and seminars that offer opportunities to promote Wales as a business-friendly location, sharing feedback and intel with appropriate contacts in Wales and across the WG overseas network.
- Assist and/or lead on bespoke events, seminars, Ministerial visits and other PR activity to promote Wales and the Welsh Government across North America, as business requires.
- Bachelor’s degree, or above, in a relevant field.
- 1-3 years professional experience in international business, preferably with a proven track record of fostering strong business relationships.
- Comfortable with initiating and handling introductory calls with relevant companies.
- Ability to engage credibly with companies/organizations at a senior level.
- Excellent information management skills.
- Strong networking skills.
- Knowledge of the business environments in Wales, the UK and Canada.
- Ability to act as a credible representative for the WG in a wide range of public settings, in any of the fields for which the WG has responsibility.
- Complete proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel, as well as social media networks.
- A full driver’s licence.
- Ability to undertake occasional travel within Canada, the US, and the UK is required.
Language: Fluency in French and English
- Familiarity with current economic, political and cultural context in Wales and the UK.
This opportunity is closed to applications.