View Vacancy - DXB - Consular Assistant A1(L)
The British Embassy in Dubai has a vacancy for a Consular Assistant.
The successful candidate will have the ability to deliver a professional and efficient Consular service to British nationals in the UAE. We are looking for a full-time person to provide consular assistance to British nationals by email, telephone and in person and to provide office support for the Consular Team.
In response to local or regional crisis, the jobholder will play a key role in the section’s response and deployment.
The successful candidate will need to be a self-starter, highly motivated, and have excellent interpersonal and office management skills.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Deal with written and telephone enquiries.
- Process applications for Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs).
- Filing of consular documentation.
- Organise online appointment system including checking documentation.
- Support on arrangements for marriages and citizenship ceremonies.
- Management of Consular stores, office machinery, and stationery supplies.
- Procurement of goods and services.
- Maintain contact lists.
- Updating and maintaining consular website information and guidance for customers.
- Occasional event management.
- Act as back up for colleagues in their absence including dealing with straightforward assistance cases.
- Play an effective role as part of Consular response to an emergency or crisis.
- Carrying out any other reasonable ad hoc duties to support the consular function.
- Assist with prevention activities and outreach work.
- Take part in the Embassy emergency planning and any response to a crisis affecting UK citizens.
Key competencies required:
- Delivering at Pace - Focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. Working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way.
- Making Effective Decisions - Being objective; using sound judgement, evidence, and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice and evaluating options before arriving at well-reasoned justifiable decisions.
- Managing a Quality Service - Being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements. Effectively planning, organising, and managing time and activities to deliver a high quality and efficient service.
- Leading and Communicating - Communicating with clarity, conviction, and enthusiasm. Supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of citizens.
- Consular work can sometimes be stressful and of a sensitive nature. The successful applicant will therefore be expected to maintain absolute consular confidentiality and impartiality.
- IT literate and well versed in Microsoft Office applications, and accurate typing skills.
- A team player who is capable of working on their initiative and who is adaptable to changing priorities. Must be able to work and act without close supervision.
- Excellent customer care skills and the ability to respond to a range of customers’ needs.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Arabic language skills
The Embassy aims to offer an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role, including: 25 days of annual leave per annum, on-site parking; on-site swimming pool, gym, and sports facilities.
Salary is at AED 8,526 per month.
There are no other allowances payable as part of this package. No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Standard working hours are from 07:30 to 15:06, including a lunch break of 36 minutes, from Sunday to Thursday.
The successful candidate should be flexible in their approach to hours worked as there may be some work out of hours and occasionally anti-social hours required. Travel within the Gulf region (and possibly further afield) may also be required for training and logistical purposes.
How to apply:
Interested candidates must attach the following documents along with their online application form:
- A covering letter.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Your application must also include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in the cover letter or in the Motivation section of the application form. Applications that do not include this information will not be considered.
The closing date for applications is at 11:55 PM UAE local time on 01 May 2019.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only those shortlisted for the next stage of the application process will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances, medical clearance and reference checks.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.