View Vacancy - Senior Intellectual Property Advisor - New Delhi
Main purpose of the job:
As the UK Intellectual Property Office’s (IPO) lead representative India (based in TBC) with support from the British High Commission, the jobholder will lead on delivering the UK’s engagement on Intellectual Property (IP) issues in this dynamic country. The role will also serve to strengthen the UKs relationship with India on trade and reflect cross HMG strategy.
This will involve working closely with UK government colleagues, Governments across India – and UK businesses. It will mean being the British High Commission’s lead expert on IP, delivering IP policy and enforcement programme, promoting IP issues across the region. The post holder, ,will be responsible for ensuring a coherent approach to the UK's engagement in India on IP represent industry and HMG.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Act as the IPO’s lead representative in India. Actively seek out and build relationships with diverse stakeholders in India and where relevant, the UK , enabling the IPO to shape the debate on IP in the region.
- Develop a strong and complimentary relationship with colleagues at the UKIPO and in particular, the UK based Senior Policy Advisor for the region.
- Develop expertise on IP policy development and delivery in India, for specialist and non-specialist stakeholders.
- Provide informed and impartial advice on IP issues to UK businesses operating, or wishing to operate, in India.
- Actively seek ways to deliver in market the UK’s International Strategy on IP and HMG policies that include IP , spotting new and emerging trends and driving implementation of the strategy
- Identify opportunities for policy and technical cooperation between the UK and India , including delivering objectives under the bilateral IP MoU and work plan
- Organise and coordinate IP-related visits to the UK by overseas counterparts from India, and visits to India by UK Ministers and IPO officials.
- Engage with the Indian government across relevant departments on domestic and multilateral IP issues, in support of UK interests.
- Work closely across all teams in the India High Commission network (BEIS, DIT, DfID, HMRC, SIN) on improving IP messaging and IP in bilateral trade dialogue (including G2G)
- Other pieces of work as required by the IPO
- Knowledge of IP policy, process, administration and law within India. At least 3 years experience would be preferred.
- Experience of working directly with governments and businesses in the UK and/or India.
- The regional nature of the role means effective self-management and prioritisation, and the ability to operate independently with support from the IPO and BHC, are critical.
- Extensive travel (including ad hoc) is a requirement of the role, within India and internationally
- Strong strategic thinking, communicating and influencing and problem-solving and judgment skills. Experience of managing external relationships with key stakeholders is also an essential requirement.
- Familiarity with UK/EU IP policies helpful but not essential.
- Knowledge of the Indian business environment would be helpful.
- Fluency in English language, both written and spoken.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
Manage UK IPO Attaché Fund – India,
Prosperity Fund Activities
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
IPO Induction Programme (UK and post)
FCO Prosperity Fund Programme Training
CSL learning (online)
British High Commission essential learning programmes
Level of language required: Fluent
Other skills / experience / qualifications:
Essential on arrival: Familiar with intellectual property stakeholders in India; well-developed negotiation skills; experience of presenting persuasively; experience of dealing with challenging situations with diplomacy
Desirable: Fundamental programme and project management; strong industry and government relations skill
The starting salary will be INR 127,252 plus 12% provident fund and 6% Special allowance per month.
BHC offers great benefits package that includes annual domiciliary medical cover, plus a Group Hospitalisation Scheme with Rs 500,000 floater cover for your immediate family.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work force is women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment. This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
Please note applications without (a), (b) and (c) will not be considered.
a) Complete the Online Application Form
b) Attach a detailed CV
c) Complete the motivation segment in the Online Application Form and the competency questions.
Internal Candidates please Note:
- While applying for this position, upload the appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) else the application will not be considered.
- Inform the line manager before applying for the position.
We will accept only online applications by “19th August 2019” midnight.
Please Note :
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
This opportunity is closed to applications.