View Vacancy - Trade and Investment Associate - Life Sciences
Main purpose of job
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the UK Government’s international business development agency. DIT USA, working closely with DIT and other agencies in the United Kingdom, is charged with transatlantic trade development between the UK and the US; and with assisting US companies looking to invest in the UK. See www.gov.uk/DIT for further information.
The post advertised is for a Trade & Investment Advisor focused on the Life Sciences sector, based at the British Consulate in San Francisco.
Reporting to the Vice Consul for Life Sciences, the Trade & Investment Advisor will work as part of a team with a US-wide responsibility for trade and investment work in the Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, Healthcare, and Med tech sectors. The focus will be to identify and support projects with innovative companies throughout the Pacific Northwest looking for market access, R&D and expansion opportunities in the UK.
San Francisco and Silicon Valley attract a large number of Ministerial and VIP delegations, and there will be opportunities to support high-profile visits.
This position includes a strong potential for advancement within the organisation and building a broad life sciences network.
Roles and responsibilities
- Proactively research, segment and target companies throughout the Pacific Northwest to identify those looking to set up or expand internationally, and support US companies already active in the UK market.
- Set meetings, manage logistics, and assist in management of client relationships, outreach campaigns, and research projects.
- Assist with planning and execution of international trade missions, panel discussions, receptions and other events to promote the UK's Life Sciences market.
- Co-ordinate as necessary with DIT’s internal network and stakeholders.
- Help gather and analyse information on both the North American and UK biotechnology, pharmaceutical and healthcare/medical device industries.
- Assist in the development of a wide range of high-level contact within the industry, including academia, federal /state/private research organisations, and state biotech groups.
- Attend local industry seminars and conferences to report on developments potentially impacting the UK.
- Provide new and experienced British companies in the health tech, biotech, and pharma sectors with the information they require to make informed business decisions by handling market research enquiries, conducting visits, writing appropriate reports and creating business opportunities for British companies.
- Maintaining records of our contact with customers on our global Customer Relationship Management system.
- Bachelor’s degree and experience in a relevant field – Life sciences, healthcare, med tech, international trade or marketing/communications is preferred;
- Relevant business development experience in the US and, ideally, the UK;
- Some client management experience;
- Strong administrator with keen communication and research skills;
- Proactive, organized and works to deadlines, prioritizes and is able to multi-task;
- A self-starter, able to work independently and show initiative with limited day-to-day supervision while operating as part of a wider team with shared goals and wide-ranging objectives;
- Strong networking skills;
- Computer literacy in standard Microsoft applications;
- Driving license and ability to undertake occasional air travel including overnight stays.
*A visas are acceptable at the Embassy and Consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas, and British Defense Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas.
This opportunity is closed to applications.