View Vacancy - Export Assistant
United Kingdom Defence Procurement Office, Shipping & Licensing (UKDPO S&L) is part of the Defence Acquisition and Technology team, based in the British Embassy in Washington DC. UKDPO S&L is the US importer and exporter of record for all UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) stores into, out of, and transiting through the Continental United States.
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities) Main purpose of job:
The post is co-located, with the current contracted freight forwarder, near Washington Dulles Airport (IAD), and reports to the Shipping Officer located at the British Embassy in Washington DC
• Completion of shipping documentation authorising the contracted freight forwarder to import and or export in accordance with US regulations.
• Assisting in the supervision of MOD freight forwarding contract, including monitoring of the contractors performance.
• Management of Shipping Office records and control of DSP 94 Licences held on site and taking appropriate renewal action
• To provide advice to UK customers on shipping issues and liaise with other MOD transportation departments / agents.
• Liaising with US Customs as required ensuring the effective passage of MOD stores movements.
• Assisting in ensuring correct procedures are adhered to for handling and shipping of freight from/to the MOD approved classified storage facility at Sterling. Advising on the construction of Transportation Plans for Classified freight procured by the MOD.
• Creation of a process manual covering the roles and responsibilities of the Shipping and Licensing Assistant
• Completion of Shipping & Licensing tasks issued by Shipping Officer
• To cover for Shipping Officer absences.
• High school diploma or equivalent. 3-5 years of related work experience.
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Strong independent judgement, excellent organisational skills, the ability to multi-task and strong problem solving skills.
• The ability to obtain appropriate Government Secret clearance.
• Ability to work effectively with team members and government/industry contacts at all levels with minimal supervision.
• Working knowledge of International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and US export control restrictions.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
• Valid driving license
***DUE TO SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS, ONLY UK NATIONALS WITH A FOOTPRINT IN THE UK FOR AT LEAST 2 OF THE PAST 5 YEARS ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION***
The Embassy may only employ for this position, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas.
This post offers a strong benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local American employment law.
Resume and a cover letter should be submitted by 28 August 2017. Internal candidates must inform the Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or other category protected by law.