View Vacancy - Trade and Investment Advisor, Creative & Media
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the UK Government’s international business development agency. DIT USA, working closely with DIT and other agencies in the United Kingdom, is charged with transatlantic trade development between the UK and the US; and with assisting US companies looking to invest in the UK. (See https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-international-trade)
The DIT network in the USA is run from headquarters in New York, and a further eight posts across the US market. This post is based at the British Consulate General in San Francisco, CA.
The position focuses on the entertainment industry and media, spanning film, television, video games, VR/AR/MR, digital media and content, social media, music and other related industries.
Reporting to the Vice Consul for Creative & Media, the position presents an opportunity to play a central role in a campaign to grow British creative industries’ exports to the US, as well as to support the flow of foreign direct investment (FDI) into the UK. The candidate will manage an array of projects, build relationships with dozens of innovative British and US companies, and create tools to match UK capabilities with US opportunities.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and lead on strategic relationships with U.S. and UK business leaders, trade associations and other key partners.
- Identify U.S. companies that may be interested in establishing or expanding operations in the UK. Make initial contact, organize visit programmes and schedule meetings. Conduct meetings both independently and in support of more senior colleagues, such as the British Consul-General or the Head of Trade & Investment.
- Deliver a target number of FDI successes each year, as agreed with the Creative & Media TIO/SL and the Head of Trade & Investment.
- Plan and deliver activities as part of DIT Campaigns, such as trade missions, seminars, webinars, and receptions, to promote the UK’s strengths in the Creative & Media sector and to deliver targets.
- Conduct research and compile reports on industry developments, best routes to market and potential U.S. business partners for UK exporters looking to enter the U.S. market.
- Participate in activities and events conducted by industry associations and other multipliers, building awareness of DIT in the business community and serving as the point of contact for UK market information.
- Facilitate and support visits by senior government officials and other VIPs, including by organising logistics and planning company meetings.
- Maintain current knowledge of Creative & Media market trends, incentives, and centres of excellence in both the U.S. and the UK. Promote UK strengths effectively to a U.S. audience.
- Maintain client relationship management records, lists of industry contacts and other data.
- Undertake occasional travel in the U.S. and the UK (up to 5% of the time).
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, ideally focused on emerging technologies in VR, games, advertising, and digital content.
- 5-8 years of relevant work experience and/or business development experience in the U.S. and, ideally, the UK;
- Strong client management experience.
- Experience working remotely, with a demonstrated ability to be proactive, organized and work to deadlines, while operating as part of a wider team with shared goals and wide-ranging objectives.
- Strong ability to problem solve, organize, prioritize and manage tasks.
- Ability to communicate with senior officials and executives effectively and credibly, and a proven track record of fostering business relationships.
- Excellent research, presentation and report writing skills, with attention to detail and an ability to emphasise relevant information and to provide clear, concise summaries.
- Strong networking skills.
- Understanding of the business environments in the UK and US, and the factors companies consider when expanding internationally.
- Knowledge of the Creative & Media sector in the US and/or UK.
- Computer literacy in standard Microsoft applications;
- Valid driver’s license; the ability to attend official functions outside of office hours; and the ability to undertake domestic and international air travel, including overnight stays.
In addition, the successful candidate will be required to attend official functions outside of office hours and required to undertake domestic (US) travel between 5-10% of the time. A limited amount of international travel may also be required.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.ukinusa.fco.gov.uk. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local American employment law.
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by April 03, 2017. Applications received after the deadline will be considered on a rolling basis as required. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must inform their Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy and its Consulates are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.