View Vacancy - Trade and Investment Officer-Technology
The British Consulate-General in San Francisco has an opportunity to join a dynamic and high performing team, fostering transatlantic business relations between the US and its top economic partner in Europe.
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the UK Government’s international business development agency. DIT USA, working closely with DIT and other agencies in the United Kingdom, is charged with transatlantic trade development between the UK and the US; and with assisting US companies looking to invest in the UK. See www.gov.uk/DIT for further information.
The post advertised is for a Trade & Investment Officer (TIO) and member of the Los Angeles team, based in the British Consulate-General San Francisco. This role 1) delivers Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) to the UK from tech hubs in the US Pacific North West, including Silicon Valley, Washington State, Idaho and Alaska; 2) helps UK technology exporters to develop and grow their businesses in the US Pacific North West. The role reports to the Head of Trade and Investment in Los Angeles.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- FDI: Provide assistance to US technology companies looking to invest in the UK and support US companies already active in the UK market, with a focus on technology sectors that include hardware and telecommunications. Build an active client pipeline by developing and managing relationships with C-level executives and business leaders.
- UK Exports: Provide advice, support and guidance to UK firms seeking to establish or expand exports in the US Pacific North West. Facilitate activities, such as trade missions and matchmaking events, designed to build the UK brand and grow UK technology exports.
- Participate in the activities and events conducted by industry associations and other multipliers, building awareness of DIT in the business community and serving as a point of contact for UK market information.
- Develop, position and implement marketing strategies, conceive and develop DIT activities, and produce and manage events with the goals of increasing awareness of the UK’s market proposition to potential investors, building relationships, and generating FDI leads.
- Facilitate and manage visits by senior government officials and other VIPs, including by compiling visit programs, planning company meetings, and writing briefing materials.
- Maintain current knowledge of UK market trends, incentives, and centres of excellence in the technology and media sectors in order to promote them effectively to a US audience. Undertake occasional travel to the UK.
- Track and report on US technology trends.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field;
- 6-8 years of relevant work experience and/or business development experience in the US and, ideally, the UK;
- Strong client management experience (5 years plus)
- Experience/knowledge of the UK's investment proposition and business environment;
- Ability to be proactive, organized and work to deadlines, prioritize and multi-task;
- A self-starter, able to work independently and show initiative with limited day-to-day supervision while operating as part of a wider team with shared goals and wide-ranging objectives;
- Strong networking skills;
- Line management experience;
- A demonstrable track record of achievement;
- Computer literacy in standard Microsoft applications;
- Driving license and ability to undertake occasional air travel including overnight stays.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.ukinusa.fco.gov.uk. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local American employment law.
Resume and a cover letter with salary history should be submitted by April 02, 2017. Applications received after the deadline will be considered on a rolling basis as required. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must inform their Head of Group before applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy and its Consulates are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, or other category protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.