View Vacancy - IT Manager
The British Embassy in Amman is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual for the position of IT Manager, Grade – B3 (L).
Purpose of the job:
The IT Manager will be responsible for overall oversight of the day to day customer IT requests and issues in the British Embassy (c. 250 users), ensuring that all enquiries are dealt quickly and effectively. They will also be responsible for supporting the development of the Embassy IT strategy, incorporating the local implementation of any IT change programmes being driven by the Foreign Office in London. The job holder will manage the Embassy’s IT budget (c. £50,000 annually), ensuring good value for money, and that equipment is purchased to meet user needs.
- Oversight of IT support in the Embassy, ensuring that all user requests are dealt with promptly and effectively covering IT, telephony and video-conferencing facilities.
- Management of the IT budget, ensuring that spending is forecasted well and prioritised towards meeting critical equipment needs.
- Support the development and implementation of the IT strategy for the Embassy, including engaging with users on their needs and preferences.
- Engagement with colleagues in London and lead on local implementation of any changes to software or hardware for FCO in London, such as the recent rollout of Microsoft Teams.
- Assurance that IT support to the crisis committee is in place, including the provision of equipment and participation in crisis management exercises and being available on a duty roster to respond to urgent requests outside normal office hours.
- Ensuring the IT support officer (ITSO) has access to the necessary training and development opportunities.
- Ensuring all new arrivals have the appropriate IT equipment they require, ordering and recycling where necessary. Also ensuring departures return all equipment.
- Manage the IT inventory list. Follow all IT security procedures.
Key Competencies and Required Skills:
- Managing a Quality Service - Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Delivering at Pace - Delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Seeing the Big Picture - Seeing the big picture is about having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs.
Knowledge & Skills:
The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills as well as being a strong team player with partnering skills with a diverse range of customers. This is a high-paced role and you will need to be resilient in order to deliver high standards of service in a challenging but rewarding environment. We are looking for someone that can demonstrate: Integrity, Honesty, Objectivity and Impartiality.
- Fluent communication skills in English (written and spoken).
- At least 2 years of experience in managing cross-functional teams or projects and influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders.
- Extensive experience in managing service delivery, infrastructure and operations in an environment similar in size and security complexity.
- Good knowledge of the full IT development lifecycle, IT governance, quality assurance, project management, risk and change management principles and deployment. Capacity to produce accurate reporting.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and stakeholder management skills, including managing, motivating and working proactively within a small team, understanding problems from a team perspective and helping staff to develop.
- Highly customer focused.
- ITIL accredited to at least Foundation Level.
- Experience of telephony in an IP environment and networking.
- Communication skills in Arabic.
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The position is full-time, at 37 hours a week with considerations of flexibility depending on circumstances.
Pay is on the Embassy B3 (L) scale, with a salary of JOD 1577 per month. The package includes a good level of health insurance and a friendly, English-speaking work environment. We offer opportunities to develop professional skills through our Learning & Development offer. Leave entitlement is 25 days (pro-rated) plus 14 public holidays.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as long as you:
- Receive the appropriate level of standard security clearance;
- Valid work permit will be required for non-Jordanians before they can start work. Candidate's work permit and the expense to obtain them will be their own responsibility.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online:
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Please provide examples of performance in each competency on the motivation section of the online application form.
- A covering letter stating why you feel you have the necessary skills to perform well in the above role.
** (Applications that do not include the above stated information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 29th August 2019.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of applications, we receive only those shortlisted for interview/assessment will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local labour law.
The British Embassy Amman is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.