View Vacancy - Trade and Investment Associate (Part-time)
The Department for International Trade (DIT) is the United Kingdom Government’s international business development agency. DIT is charged with transatlantic trade development between the US and the UK, and with assisting US companies looking to invest in the UK. Focus sectors for DIT in the Southeast USA include technology, the creative industries, life sciences, financial and professional business services, advanced engineering and infrastructure.
The post advertised is for a part-time Trade & Investment Associate, based in the British Consulate-General Atlanta. Working directly with the Head of Trade & Investment in a fast-moving environment, the position provides administrative, finance and event management support to the broader Atlanta and Miami teams (DIT Southeast USA). In addition, the successful candidate will support relationships with strategic UK investors and serve as marketing coordinator for the team. With experience, the successful candidate will project manage events and marketing initiatives.
Duties & Responsibilities:
General Administrative Duties:
• Arranging meetings and logistics, preparing expense reports, maintaining a contacts database and managing information using a client relationship management (CRM) system.
• Managing the team’s monthly financial budgets and internal finance systems.
• Coordinate a learning & development plan for the Southeast DIT teams.
• Assist with the execution of networking receptions, events, informational seminars, and other initiatives designed to develop business between the US and the UK.
• Providing support for high level visit programs.
• Provide support for key cross-Consulate “campaign” activity e.g. Pride, Britweek, GREAT Alumni, as needed.
• Undertake research and marketing to proactively identify and provide assistance to potential investors in focus sectors that may have interest in setting up or expanding operations in the UK. This may include making initial contact, compiling visit programs, conducting research, writing and coordinating briefing materials, and planning and attending meetings and events;
• Assist in the development of a wide range of senior level contacts in focus sectors areas; develop relationships with key “gatekeepers”.
• Serve as marketing coordinator for the team, ensuring consistency and helping to shape messages and strategy.
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in business, economics, international marketing, political / international affairs or communications;
• 1-3 years business development or client management experience;
• Ability to be proactive, organized and work to deadlines, prioritize and multi-task, and have a strong attention to detail;
• A self-starter, able to work independently and show initiative with limited day-to-day supervision while operating as part of a wider US/UK team with wide-ranging objectives;
• Strong networking skills;
• Ability to work under tight deadlines;
• Clear, organised writer with strong communication skills, including excellent research ability and topical summary skills;
• Computer literacy in standard Microsoft applications;
• Driving license and ability to undertake occasional air travel, including overnight stays.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy Network may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas.
• The candidate should have a solid understanding of both the US and UK business environments, in addition to public versus private sector operations.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Individuals who are Green Card holders, UK/US dual citizens, and non US taxpaying citizens will be paid a net salary based on a simulated US tax status.
Resume and a cover letter should be submitted by 21 June 2017. Applications received after the deadline will be considered on a rolling basis as required. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must inform the Head of Group before applying.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local American employment law.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or other category protected by law
This opportunity is closed to applications.