View Vacancy - Trade & Investment Officer – Financial & Professional Services
The advertised post is a Vice Consul and Trade & Investment Officer (Financial & Professional Services), based out of the British Consulate General, San Francisco and reporting to the Head of DIT San Francisco. Working as part of an integrated team that covers the Pacific Northwest USA, the Vice Consul will proactively focus on driving transatlantic trade and investment between the UK and the major metro economies of Northern California, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming and Alaska, across several key industry sub-sectors. These include: fintech, insurance, asset management and legal / consulting services. The appointee will also manage DIT’s relationships with strategic accounts across these industries and drive regional activity in support of major campaigns e.g. the GREAT Campaign.
This role is responsible for delivering against an aggressive set of annual trade and investment targets, as well as the following duties;
• Forge strong relationships with business leaders (start-ups through to Fortune 500), the finance community, trade associations, technology incubators / accelerators and interlocutors.
• Provide a comprehensive account management service to key US prospects in the aforementioned sectors looking to set up operations in the UK; and support US companies already active in the UK market to grow their footprint. Successfully build and manage a pipeline of knowledge-driven projects.
• Develop and implement high impact, targeted marketing programs and events in conjunction with stakeholder partners to build DIT brand awareness, promote key messaging relating to the competitiveness of the UK’s financial services industry, and generate leads.
• Assist high growth / innovative UK SMEs and established British businesses to develop US market entry strategies and / or grow US market share.
• Monitor market trends and contribute to US-wide, sector-focused strategic planning.
• Work with internal and external stakeholders to deliver high level / VIP visit programs and manage cross-Consulate activities that capitalise on synergies that exist between the Pacific Northwest US and the UK, and help advance key UK “campaigns”.
• Represent DIT and the British Consulate at external functions, including occasional speaking engagements.
• Educated to degree level, with at least five years solution sales experience, preferably in a related industry / field.
• Strong client account management experience.
• Experience of utilising a variety of technology platforms for business development and campaign marketing purposes.
• Clear motivation and personal commitment to meeting challenging targets with a demonstrable track record of achievement.
• Excellent research, analysis and report writing skills, particularly the ability to produce high quality outputs.
• Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work in a closely-knit team towards shared goals.
• Strong written and oral communication (including presentation) skills.
• Driving license and ability to undertake air travel, including overnight stays.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy Network may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
*A visas or NATO visas with EAD cards are acceptable at the Embassy, Consulates, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas.
The British Embassy Network offers a strong benefits package. This package includes medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
Individuals who are Green Card holders, UK/US dual citizens, and non US taxpaying citizens will be paid a net salary based on a simulated US tax status.
Resume and a cover letter should be submitted by 26 July 2017. Applications received after the deadline will be considered on a rolling basis as required. Please identify in your cover letter whether you are currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Internal candidates must inform the Head of Group before applying.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local American employment law.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or other category protected by law