View Vacancy - Administrative Assistant / Receptionist, Grade- AA, Colombo
"Note : All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the complete online application form including the employment and educational details, experience-based segment and the behaviours and technical/ professional skills based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the application forms only for all the required details. Forms that are incomplete in any respect will not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.’’
Main purpose of job:
The role of the Administrative Assistant / Receptionist is to provide administrative support to ensure the efficient functioning of the operations of Corporate Services including transport, smooth functioning of reception and friendly customer services to visitors and office staff..
Below roles and responsibilities are general guidelines. They are not limited to the detail below and are subject to change from time to time in line with operational need.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
Administrative Assistant- 70%
- Coordinate transport requests and manage the daily allocation of pool vehicles and drivers to meet official transportation needs.
- Ensure drivers maintain vehicle running charts/records on a daily basis and update/maintain monthly vehicle mileages and other records.
- Monitor fuel and other purchases related to transport.
- Coordinate external vehicle hires/bookings with contracted transport service providers/taxis.
- Manage meeting room reservations.
- Monitor overtime, allowances and other claims.
- Support in crisis exercises.
- Other administrative tasks as directed.
- Welcome visitors, establish their identity and provide assistance including directing them to the relevant sections/staff member.
- Manage the telecommunication switch board including answering phone calls and transferring to the appropriate staff member. This role includes the active screening of calls prior to transferring them to colleagues.
- Take messages and ensure they are passed to the relevant staff member.
- Handle queries and complaints via phone, email and pass to the relevant staff member.
- Maintain safety and hygiene standards of the reception area.
- Support staff with all telephone enquiries, directory assistance and other related assistance staff may require.
- Manage the BHC enquiries mail box – redirecting and responding as required.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a similar position.
- Proficiency of key Microsoft office elements (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint etc)
- Proficiency in English equivalent or exceeds IELTS score 7.0
- Good oral and written communication skills in Sinhala and/or Tamil
- High attention to detail with a strong work ethic
- Strong ability to multitask, take self-responsibility.
- Proven customer service skills coupled with an ability to handle difficult customers
- High measures of resilience, adaptability.
- Excellent planning, organising and administrative skills.
Language requirements: English, Sinhala/ or Tamil
Level of language required: Proficient (IELTS 7.0 or more)
Ability to communicate in Sinhala /and or Tamil would be an added advantage.
- A university degree in logistics or in relevant field of study.
- IELTS 7.0 or above
For British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Country Based Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, starting salary will be LKR 91,735 + EPF 12% + ETF 3% per month per month. The current equivalent USD salary paid (at fixed corporate exchange rate from March 2022) is USD 453 per month. Other benefits include 13 month’s salary (pro-rated) and medical insurance coverage.
'Please note that the current salaries are being dollarized and processed in USD (pegged to a fixed corporate exchange rate from March 2022) to provide cushion against the current external market conditions. This is a temporary measure and is subject to review at regular intervals.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment and security checks.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system. The High Commission takes pride in its organisational culture and its strong and diverse team. We offer leave entitlements as per Sri Lankan labour laws.
We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment.
- Working week of 40 hours over 5 days with a 1 hour lunch break.
- Be punctual and make good use of all working hours.
- Ability to work in a fast- high paced environment when needed.
The British High Commission network works in and with Sri Lanka to pursue UK national interests and project the UK as a force for good in the world; promote the interests of British citizens;
Safeguard the UK’s security; defend our values; and tackle global challenges with
The British High Commission in Colombo is a supportive, diverse, and motivated mission that
has worked hard to create an environment which embraces diversity, encourages flexibility, and drives high performance. The High Commission has around 100 staff, of whom around 14 are from the UK. The High Commission has six integrated policy and programme teams (Political, Peacebuilding and Programmes, Communications, Prosperity, Business and Trade, Consular, Defence, and Corporate Services) plus security guards and support staff. There is also a British Council operation in Sri Lanka.
The British Government is committed to equality and strongly encourages applications from diverse
backgrounds to enhance the ability of the UK mission in Sri Lanka to deliver effectively.
Please note that applications will only be considered with (a) and (b):
(a) Complete the Online Application Form
(b) Complete the Motivation Segment in the Online Application Form
Internal candidates applying for this position need to upload their appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable). They should also inform their current line managers, else the applications will not be considered.
We will accept only online applications received by midnight on 10 December 2023 (Sri Lanka Standard Time).
Please note that all the applicants will be required to strictly adhere to the security guidelines of the British High Commission.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with. However, the status will be updated on the recruitment software which will be viewed by the applicant.
- The appointment will be subject to police and other checks including references, educational and professional.
- We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed.
- The British High Commission in Colombo is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
- Staff recruited locally by The British High Commission in Colombo is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
- The successful candidate will be subject to reference checking and security clearances checks.
This opportunity is closed to applications.