View Vacancy - Security Officer
The British Embassy in Washington, DC is one of the United Kingdom’s largest diplomatic missions. This position is an integral part of a busy and dynamic Security Services team and is responsible for ensuring the safety of the Ambassador and his family, HMG staff, visitors, and others who are allowed to be on the Embassy compound. This is a team of professionals dedicated to provide services that uphold the integrity of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) property in one of the United Kingdom's largest diplomatic missions.
This position will provide support to the Regional Overseas Security Manager and locally employed Security Manager. The successful candidate will ensure that effective systems are in place, so as to manage security emergencies and keep all staff aware of security regulations and compliance procedures. This position will also be responsible for knowledge of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Security guidance systems, as well as established Embassy security procedures and protection measures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide efficient security guidance and advice to customers
- Ensure that security regulations are adhered to
- Proactively identify and develop security best practice
- Control access to the Embassy compound and Residence
- Respond to and manage security situations – e.g. fire and other emergencies
- Supervise workmen and cleaners in restricted areas of the Embassy
- Carry out security patrols
- Monitor CCTV
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 2 years of previous security experience
- Ability to work days, nights, weekends and holidays on a rotational schedule
- A proven track record of excellent customer service
- Ability to display sound judgement and organisational skills
- Ability to make effective decisions under pressure
- Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential, as well as an ability to work as part of a team or independently
- Previous security experience is desirable, however not essential
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook and Web Access
- Ability to work overtime as dictated by the needs of the Embassy
The British Embassy offers a strong benefits package. This package includes health insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous leave entitlement, and training opportunities.
Under US State Department requirements, the Embassy may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A or NATO visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A or NATO visa you are not currently eligible to work at the Embassy. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
Resume and cover letter should be submitted by 13 January 2017. Internal candidates must inform their supervisor if they intend on applying.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we cannot guarantee consideration of your application if the submission instructions are not properly followed.
The British Embassy is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation or any other criterion protected by law.
This opportunity is closed to applications.