View Vacancy - CPK - Senior Brand Designer, EO
Main purpose of job:
We are looking for a Graphic Designer to join the British Embassy Communications team, to produce digital and print creative solutions for all our communications activities, including campaigns and events across the China Network (for example: the premiere of the new James Bond film ‘No Time to Die’ and the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee).
This role is based in Beijing and sits within the digital network. You will be responsible for supporting activities of the Embassy as well as our Consulates in Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chongqing and Wuhan.
You must be a design professional with excellent design skills, attention to details and the ability to work on a number of simultaneous design projects. You will be a problem-solver who can work under pressure, ensuring our suite of brands are delivered to a high standard when working to tight deadlines.
To be successful in this role, you should have in-depth knowledge of graphic design, styles and layout techniques.
You should have experience executing projects from conception to production, including social media assets, animations, posters and banners.
As well as executing commissions, you will also apply excellent design principles to our communication and marketing objectives. You will understand and stay up-to-date with industry standards, tools and trends.
- Be able to work under pressure;
- Be confident presenting your concepts to others;
- Give clear advice to others regarding design;
- Have strong audience insights;
- Be aware of the rapidly changing nature of social media – and how to put that to good use;
- Working within the British Embassy Communications team, you will help to produce eye-catching content, and provide creative solutions to explain complex departmental achievements and statistics in an accessible way for businesses and the public.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve:
- Manage global design projects from conception to delivery tailored to our target audiences;
- Work with other Comms team members to produce high quality content for online and offline use, including: social media graphics, infographics, illustrations, animations, event posters and invitations etc;
- Ensure all productions are in line with global branding guidelines;
- Provide style guide for all content and maintain brand consistency across the whole network;
- Create designs based on briefs, or localise provided global content/assets;
- Monitor and stay up-to-date with industry standards, tools and trends;
- High quality production design and rendering using Adobe Photoshop/InDesign or other software.
- Mandarin - fluent in both written and oral communication
- English - fluent in both written and oral communication
Essential on Arrival:
- Proven work experience as a Graphic Designer or similar role
- Portfolio of completed design projects
- Creative thinking skills
- Must stay abreast of the latest tools and software in order to produce the best work possible
- Hands-on experience and knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and Premiere Pro
- Hands-on experience and knowledge of Microsoft Office (in particular Word and Powerpoint)
- Strong aesthetic skills with the ability to combine various colours, fonts and layouts
- Familiarity with production and rendering methods, including drawing, offset printing, photography, interactive media
- Attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines
We offer a competitive package which includes –
- Gross monthly salary (before all deductions) of CNY 19,096 for Chinese Nationals paid in 13 month instalments and an abated monthly salary of CNY 26,443 per month for British Nationals and spouses/partners (all nationalities) of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria;
- Insurance plans such as social and housing fund (Chinese Nationals), commercial insurance package including accidental, life, medical and business travel insurance
- 22 days annual leave entitlement in pro-rata which increases by 0.5 per full calendar year worked up to maximum of 25 days
- We offer different types of compulsory leave in accordance to Chinese law, e.g. Maternity Leave, Paternity Leave, Marriage Leave, Parental leave, etc.
- In addition to the above compulsory leave, we also offer other types of leaves with pay e.g. Study Leave, Volunteering Leave to support staff who undertakes volunteering activities, Special Paid Leave to deal with emergencies involving a close family member, and more.
- Employee Assistance Programme which is a confidential service providing help, support and information to staff to resolve and manage situations causing concern whether at work or personal nature is available to staff 24/7;
- There is also plenty of opportunity to develop on and off the job, and establish expertise and build capability. We are strongly supportive of the job holder continuing to develop their professional skills. The Mission encourages a blended learning culture based on the 70/20/10 model which includes e-learning, mentoring, coaching, other development activities and role-specific required trainings. This offer also includes supporting staff members to take part in a 5 days of learning activities each year.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
You will be part of the UK Government Communications Service and have access to the latest communications training including design.
Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs. Flexible working arrangements is always considered.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment and security checks.
Staff who are locally recruited by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit. Any costs related to obtaining or renewing permits and visas are the responsibility of the successful applicant.
External Non-Chinese National Candidates
Due to local Government measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19, including strict entry restrictions, applicants who are non-Chinese nationals are likely to face significant obstacles when seeking residence permits, or travel into China. Please familiarise yourself with the latest restrictions and processes before applying. The British Embassy and Consulates General cannot cover the cost of transport, quarantine or accommodation for applicants who require work permits.
Important Note: For this role, you are required to upload your design portfolio or provide a link to your own brand website. Kindly upload it to the Attachments – CV / Cover letter (optional) part of your application or kindly provide your portfolio link in one of the competency questions. Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested.
Please note that your application must be submitted before 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field "Application deadline."
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core behaviours listed above.
All applicants are required to mandatorily fill the online application form completely including the employment and educational details, experience, professional skills and behaviour based questions. We will be thoroughly reviewing the applications and incomplete form in any respect may not be considered while shortlisting for the next stage.
For inclusivity and diversity, please remove the following personal information when uploading your CV: name, address, email address, age, date of birth, gender, and nationality.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
This opportunity is closed to applications.