View Vacancy - Security and Justice Project Officer
The British Embassy in Tunis currently has a vacancy for a Security and Justice Project Officer, Grade – B3 (L).
Main purpose of job:
To deliver effective project development, management and implementation of British Embassy projects in a number of areas, with a particular focus on the security and justice pillar of the Tunisia Conflict, Stability and Security Fund (CSSF) Programme (£10 million overall in financial year 2018/2019) in support of the National Security Council’s vision for a more stable, secure and economically sustainable Tunisia. Working with others, including the Security and Justice Programme Manager, the successful applicant will feed into the direction and delivery of the UK Government’s strategy to continue to build UK-Tunisia engagement, partnerships and opportunities on security and justice.
Main duties and responsibilities:
The British Embassy Tunis is looking to recruit a full time Project Officer who will focus on the Security and Justice Programme. This is an exciting opportunity to promote longer-term stability in Tunisia through effective project management. Working at the British Embassy offers a unique and rewarding opportunity to grow professionally while collaborating with a talented group of individuals.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Project Management – To manage high performing projects, in coordination with the Programme Manager, that demonstrate value for money and impact against UK Government programme outcomes. To manage effective monitoring, evaluating and learning of projects through liaison with implementing partners, stakeholders and beneficiaries, including through visiting project sites. Support implementing partners in producing high quality project documentation, and completing work plans, monitoring and evaluating tools and narrative reports in accordance with agreed deadlines and the required quality standards. Collaborate with the Finance Manager to develop and scrutinise financial return along with narrative report.
• Programme and Project Development – Support the Programme Manager in identifying and developing new projects/partnerships/areas of work in support of CSSF programme objectives. Provide advice and assistance to Programme Team and other Embassy colleagues and or potential partners on developing new project proposals and assisting them through tendering for CSSF funding.
• Cross Cutting Issues - Work with the Programme Manager to implement cross cutting programme management principles across the security and justice pillar of programming, including financial forecasting and analysis, and monitoring and evaluation techniques. Ensure best practice is applied across the security and justice programme on: project management, financial management, procurement, risk management, monitoring and evaluation, gender sensitivity, conflict sensitivity, human rights, due diligence and managing relationships with new and prospective implementing partners.
• Stakeholder Management - Build and maintain a strong network of contacts with the international donor community, implementing partners, government counterparts and civil society. The jobholder will be expected to collaborate with colleagues across the Embassy. This means being prepared to support other team members and pillars of programming when necessary. Support the Programme Manager to collaborate across the Embassy to ensure that the security and justice programme activity aligns and compliments other UK activity and strategies, and with others to ensure that the UK is visible and engaged in the strategic direction of other relevant donor programming in Tunisia in line with UK objectives... Assist with inward and outward visits and provide written and oral briefing to seniors when required..
• Communication - Collaborate with the Programme Team’s communication lead and the Embassy Communication Team to identify and implement opportunities to raise the visibility of UK programmes in Tunisia.
• Corporate - Working in a large Embassy, the jobholder will have ample opportunities to contribute to a range of Embassy initiatives and will have a role in Embassy on crisis management preparedness and implementation.
Key competencies required:
• Making Effective Decisions – Effectiveness in this area is about being objective; using sound judgment, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice. It means showing clarity of thought, setting priorities, analysing and using evidence to evaluate options before arriving at well-reasoned justifiable decisions.
• Delivering Value for Money - Delivering value for money involves the efficient, effective and economic use of taxpayers’ money in the delivery of public services. It means seeking out and implementing solutions which achieve the best mix of quality and effectiveness for the least outlay.
• Delivering at Pace - Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. It’s about working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way.
• Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
• Bachelors degree in a relevant discipline;
• Proven experience for at least three years of security and justice project management in government, think tanks or Civil Society Organisations;
• Detailed knowledge of the Tunisian security context, including on security initiatives delivered through international support;
• IT skills, including use of MS Word, Excel and Outlook;
• Familiarity with report writing on security issues;
• Understanding of the Tunisian government system;
• Proven application of monitoring and evaluation;
• Ability to build successful working relationships with a wide and diverse group of stakeholders.
• Excellent communication skills both verbal and written in English
• Operational in French & Arabic
• Experience of working with an international institution.
• Understanding of the national and local political, economic and security climate;
• Understanding gender, human rights and conflict elements aspect.
• Experience in managing project finances, including forecasting, budgeting and contracts;
• Previous experience of working in an international organisation/Embassy
• Basic experience of financial management
Working hours and remuneration:
Conditioned working hours are 40 hours gross per week. Standard working hours are from 08:00-16:30 from Monday to Thursday and 08:00-13:00 on Fridays.
The British Embassy in Tunisia offers an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role. Initial salary will be TND 3,603 per month while on probation. Salary after probation is TND 4,460. This is a Full-time, One Year Fixed Term with a possibility of extension.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90-day probationary period.
The appointment will also be subject to satisfactory local and UK security clearances.
Candidate must be eligible to work and reside in Tunisia immediately.
Interested candidates must include the following items along with the completed online application form:
1. An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
2. Examples of when you have demonstrated the key competencies outlined above.
Applications that do not include these will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is at 23:55 (local time) on 12 June 2018. Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of job applications the Embassy receives, only those shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
The start date mentioned is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
The British Embassy Tunis is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.