View Vacancy - Political and Public Affairs Officer
The British Embassy in Tunis currently has a vacancy for a Political and Public Affairs Officer, Grade – B3 (L) to start as soon as possible.
Main purpose of job:
This is a key position, working towards UK objectives to support the democratic process in Tunisia. We are looking for a dynamic self-starter who has an excellent understanding of Tunisia’s internal politics.
The Political Officer role will help increase our understanding of the Tunisian political system and key political issues. We are in particular interested in applications from candidates who have the energy to make new contacts, creativity to try new approaches and the analytical skills to understand and explain the fast-paced political changes in Tunisia.
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Providing high quality reporting on political developments in Tunisia and their implications for UK interests, independently and in coordination with Embassy colleagues;
• Keeping abreast of and providing analysis on elections, the political economy, human rights and migration.
• Building a network of contacts across the Tunisian government, think tanks, academics, civil society and media;
• Strengthen the Embassy’s understanding of the key challenges facing Tunisia
• Lobbying on key priorities for the UK when necessary;
• Arranging and supporting visits and meetings for the Ambassador, UK ministers, senior officials and Parliamentarians;
• Advisory role for governance and human rights projects
• Management of the Chevening scholarship programme
• Supporting the wider Embassy team as required, including as deputy political manager for the Embassy’s crisis response team
Key competencies required:
• Seeing the Big Picture – is about having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs.
• Collaborating and Partnering - People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
• Delivering at Pace - Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
• Engaging Internationally - Effectiveness in this area is about leading internationally, engaging our staff, contacts and international partners to help deliver UK Government objectives. Understanding UK Government aims in the wider UK and international context and developing productive relationships with those external contacts and partners to help deliver UK objectives.
• M.A in International Relations, Politics, or other relevant subject area
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of Tunisia’s political scene and interest in current affairs
• Excellent communication skills including in English, French and Arabic
• Strong research, analysis and reporting skills
• Problem-solving and efficient administrative skills
• Ability to work as part of a team and independently
• Experience of working in a governmental or international environment
• Proven ability to prioritise, handle multiple tasks and respond quickly to changing circumstances
• Working IT skills and literacy in Microsoft office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
Working hours and remuneration:
Conditioned working hours are 40 hours gross per week. Standard working hours are from 08:00-16:30 from Monday to Thursday and 08:00-13:00 on Fridays.
The British Embassy in Tunisia offers an attractive working environment and remuneration package for this role. Initial salary will be TND 3,603 per month while on probation. Salary after probation is TND 4,460. This is a Full-time, One Year Fixed Term with a possibility of extension.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90-day probationary period.
The appointment will also be subject to satisfactory local and UK security clearances.
Candidate must be eligible to work and reside in Tunisia immediately.
Interested candidates must include the following items along with the completed online application form:
1. An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
2. Examples of when you have demonstrated the key competencies outlined above.
Applications that do not include these will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is at 23:55 (local time) on 21 June 2018.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of job applications the Embassy receives, only those shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
The start date mentioned is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
The British Embassy Tunis is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.