View Vacancy - International Law Intern (CHEG19.443)
The Permanent Mission of the UK to the UN and other International Organisations in Geneva represents a broad range of UK interests and policies, including in the fields of human rights, humanitarian action, migration, public health and disarmament.
The main purpose of the International Law Internship is to assist the Mission’s Legal Counsellor in managing the UK’s engagement with the development of international law in these fields, by supporting colleagues across the Mission to identify and understand legal risk; by attending and reporting from meetings under the auspices of the UN Human Rights Council and the ICRC; and by providing administrative and logistical support.
Main Duties and Responsibilities.
- Attending and drafting reports of meetings, negotiations and conferences raising matters of public international law, primarily but not limited to international humanitarian law and international human rights law;
- General support to the Legal Counsellor, including legal research, logistical support and administration;
- Undergraduate degree in Law or International Law, including good knowledge of international human rights law and international humanitarian law;
- Fluency in English (oral and written);
- Prior relevant internship or work experience in the field of international law or diplomacy, or at the UN or another international organisation;
- Strong interest in working in international law, human rights or humanitarianism;
- Competence in using Microsoft Office Word and Outlook;
- Being highly motivated, flexible and a great team player;
- Excellent skills in communication, drafting and organisation;
- Willingness to undergo a mandatory security check;
- Master’s degree in International Law;
- Knowledge of French (any level);
- Additional computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Office Excel);
All applicants should have permission to live and work in Switzerland. Applicants must hold a full passport valid for at least 12 months for any EU / Schengen country.
The UK Mission will offer the intern a monthly training allowance of 1,250 CHF. Please note that interns will need to arrange and pay for their own travel, accommodation, and mandatory health insurance, as well as any other living costs. This internship will be for a period of 3 months.
The final appointment will be dependent upon successful security clearance. Please note that selected candidates need to submit the security forms before the internship starts.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the UK Mission will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, security check nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
This opportunity is closed to applications.