View Vacancy - JPN - Investment Adviser - Advanced Engineering & Manufacturing Technologies A2(L) (Tokyo or Osaka)
Main purpose of job:
You will work in one of the most exciting teams in the Embassy at the forefront of innovation. As part of the Advanced Engineering & Manufacturing team, you will provide research, and support on promoting investment and R&D into the UK in the areas of automotive supply chain (including connected & autonomous cars and low carbon vehicles), advanced manufacturing, rail, robotics, aerospace and space; support the roll out of a new investment programme focused on high potential opportunities.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve:
(40%) Promote the UK’s strengths to Japanese companies in areas of conventional and new automotive technologies (related to connected and autonomous cars and low carbon vehicles), advanced manufacturing, rail, robotics, aerospace and space.
- Support the Head of Advanced Engineering & Manufacturing and Senior Investment Adviser by aiming to deliver 20 investment projects (new investments into the UK and existing investors’ expansion) from this sector per annum and generate around 60 new leads p/a as a team.
- Support promotional events (e.g. JSAE – the biggest automotive event of the year in Japan), inward and outward missions
(40%) Engage effectively with Japanese target companies:
- Research, analyse and develop a target list of key Japanese companies to work with and then follow up either engaging directly with the companies yourself but also support the Head of Advanced Manufacturing & Engineering and Senior Investment Advisor of the team to deliver company engagements – target companies include both existing investors and innovative, fast-growing new Japanese companies.
- You will aim to support 3-4 investment projects from this sector per annum and generate around 10 new project leads p/a on your own.
- Working to the senior managers of the team you will support the roll out of a new campaign focused on High Potential Opportunities (HPOs) for investment in specific regions and sectors of the UK economy.
- Support to senior managers for example accompanying Consul-General’s visits to western Japan companies in Nagoya and Osaka on ad hoc basis.
(10%) Provide support to the team:
- Develop and update key documents on statistics, projects and make sure that our database is updated.
- One of the advertised Investment Adviser (Advanced Engineering & Manufacturing Technologies) positions have some Asia Pacific regional element in the responsibilities.
(10%) Contribute to the wider work of the Embassy, including active role in the crisis response plan and exercises.
- Collaborate with other teams to support on wider Embassy activities.
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
Profile and manage admin and specific project budgets.
- Changing and Improving
- Collaborating and Partnering
- Leading and Communicating
- Deliver a Quality Service
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
Two key areas of focus will be:
(i) building up a knowledge of the key sectors which the post holder will work in. On the job training, presentations from sector specialists and potential Developing Sector Knowledge course in the UK.
(ii) building up influencing and sales skills through on the job training and DIT run courses like Effective Account Management or Consultancy Based Sales training courses would be useful.
The British Embassy offers comprehensive learning and development opportunities that will be fully available to the jobholder. We regularly run both work area specific training, as well as more general skills development in project management, finance, and leadership. Each year the job holder will be encouraged to use 5 development days to pursue job related and personal development goals.
All staff are required to take a role in the embassy’s crisis preparation and response. Full training will be provided for this and regular opportunities will be available to test and develop your skills.
Please note that we are recruiting 2 headcounts for this campaign and one of the A2 positions has some APAC regional element in the responsibilities.
***Applications are welcome from all over Japan. We will make assessment based on the candidates' preference and business needs
- Fluent Japanese language skills (JLPT level 1 or equivalent).
- Business level in English (IELTS band 7 or TOEIC 875 points or above or equivalent), with experience of working in an English speaking environment.
- Degree in business or economics is desirable but not essential.
- Either a sales background or an understanding of the automotive or technology sectors would be useful but by no means essential.
- 1 month salary bonus equivalents payable in June and December
- (Note: Salary may be reduced due to tax status)
- Commuting allowance of up to JPY35,000 per month (paid on an actual cost basis)
- 25 days paid annual leave (calculated pro rata)
- Health Insurance and Employee pension (kenko hoken/kosei nenkin)
- Employment Insurance (koyou hoken)
The applicant must have work authorisation for Japan however if a foreign national, the British Embassy/Consulate General will support a visa application if required.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
The start date mentioned in the job advert is a tentative start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances.
This opportunity is closed to applications.