View Vacancy - Inward Investment Manager
Main purpose of job:
Lead the Inward Investment Team at the Department for International Trade at the British Embassy in Santiago, Chile. You will work with Chilean companies, organisations and associations to deliver an increase in their awareness of the UK as an investment destination and to drive new foreign direct investment from Chile to the UK. You will work across a virtual team (with policy, programme and commercial colleagues) to deliver investment objectives as part of a cross Embassy and cross country strategy. You will develop excellent relationships with our Country Director, UK HQ colleagues and with UK based partner organisations to support your team in delivering an impactful programme of activities focused on developing a robust pipeline of Chilean investors and to promote the UK as a destination for Chilean companies.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?:
Lead the Inward Investment agenda in Chile (70%)
- Drive our FDI agenda in Chile, developing and delivering a strategy for attracting high quality FDI from Chile to the UK
- Assist Chilean companies and entrepreneurs to successfully locate and expand operations in the UK;
- Build a strong pipeline of investment projects (+70) from key sectors specially aligned with the concept of high economic impact investment;
- Conduct activities to raise the profile of the UK as a FDI location for Chilean companies; aligned with GREAT Campaign
- Offer high value projects advisory and account management for a number of strategic investment projects from Chile to the UK, both from private sector and high net worth individuals.
- Institutional relations with Chilean stakeholders, including the federation of industries, sector associations and government, related to inward investment;
- Support the Head of FDI LATAC to account manage Chilean companies present in the UK;
- Engage in 4 High Value Campaigns in targeted sectors (reporting, expenses, stakeholders, VIPs, projects and events delivered by the campaign);
- Support the senior management team (regular information sharing and reports as requested by HMA, Country Director, HQ Global operations, ministerial visits, etc);
- Ensure target delivery of 9 investment projects and final reporting of the fiscal year, with 40% of them being High Value Investments.
- Manage Prospecting budget to support non-HVC FDI related activity and lead generation
- Weekly calls with the Regional Investment Manager on processes and pipeline development updates and supporting with quarterly performance review to the HQ and DIT Director LatAm;
Lead the Regional High Value Campaign (HVC) for one of our strategic sectors and be a proactive part of the LATAC FDI team (20%)
- Provide strategic leadership to the campaign ensuring alignment with country and regional (Latin America and the Caribbean) strategies, with a focus on quality and delivery of outcomes across the region.
- Coordinate activity across the country teams working in the selected HVC sector across the region to deliver market intelligence, promotion and awareness, and attract investments to the sector in UK.
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders in DIT HQ and relevant UK and Chilean sectoral business organisations.
- Contribute to the regional LATAC FDI team in promoting the FDI agenda in the region, participating and leading regional activities and initiatives, sharing best practices and supporting the regional team as needed.
Manage the team in line with DIT and Local Embassy values, contributing to the overall Embassy corporate objectives and ensure good financial, project and procurement management. (10%)
- Effective line management of 1 Investment Officer (A2 grade), that is shared with Argentina, through SMART objectives, uptake of L&D opportunities and high quality appraisals
- Ensure good financial, project and procurement management of work in the team.
- As part of the DIT leadership team, deliver work in line with Embassy Values (Respect, Excellence & working as One Team)
- Contribute to the corporate objectives of the Embassy
Resources managed (staff and expenditure):
1 A2 - shared with Argentina
Delegated budget for High Value Campaign objectives
Delegated budget for local activities
- 8 years work experience
- Graduated from a business related course and experience in project management
- Team leadership
- Budget control
- Commercial activities and account management
- Stakeholder engagement
- Line management experience
- Excellent interpersonal skils
Language: Spanish and English
Level of language required: both fluent – written and spoken (CEFR: C1 essential with C2 in at least one language preferred)
- Trade and/or Investment experience
- Post graduate degree in administration, economics, international relations or project management
The British Embassy in Chile and the Department for International Trade offers L&D opportunities with funds to take courses and learning, online resources, sector knowledge, in house training. The role offers significant opportunities for on the job learning, as well as limited opportunities for travel within Chile, the region, and the UK.
This opportunity is closed to applications.