View Vacancy - Inward Investment Adviser - B3, Kolkata
Duration of post: 36 months – ‘Term can be extended depending on performance’
Main purpose of the job:
We are looking for a dynamic, high-calibre colleague who will make a difference to the UK-India FDI relationship. Indian companies currently invest more in the UK than the rest of Western Europe combined. We need a colleague who will play a key role in retaining this top slot.
The main purpose of the job will be to bring high-value inward investments projects from Eastern India to the UK covering the priority sectors (engineering & chemicals, agri & food, IT, life sciences, financial & professional services). The job holder will mainly be responsible for strengthening FDI outflow from the Eastern Indian states (including the North East) to the UK. The job holder should be a self-starter who is highly organised, can plan, self-manage and build productive relationships. The job holder will be based out of the British Deputy High Commission in Kolkata and expected:
- To conduct business development and generate leads, build relationship with multipliers & key stakeholders, file reports, deliver events end-to-end.
- To assist and support the Eastern India Inward Investment team by managing the Data Hub (internal CRM) with client interactions and project updates
You will act as the face of the British Government to Eastern Indian companies and manage relationships with decision-makers in India’s leading corporate houses. You will develop and deliver a strong pipeline of current and future investment wins and support the wider Department for International Trade (DIT) India effort across a range of corporate objectives. You will be supported with opportunities to get the right learning and development, career development and opportunities to travel. You will join a high-performing, hybrid team of supportive colleagues. In summary a challenging position, with significant rewards for the right candidate.
You will be delivering inward investment campaign objectives by supporting the companies in Eastern India across all priority sectors to increase their capital investment and create employment opportunities in the UK. You will also encourage Indian companies to increase research, development and innovation in the UK.
Roles and responsibilities:
Lead generation (60%)
To support and contribute to the delivery of the annual investment target set for the Eastern region of India and ensure that a healthy pipeline of future investment projects is developed through client-facing interactions and other relevant activities. You will be responsible for delivery against some challenging targets and ‘SMART’ objectives:
- Prospect and develop new leads from designated territories in Eastern India especially Tier II cities in Odisha, Bihar, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and the North Eastern states.
- Develop a daily schedule of supporting the requirements of qualified leads in a timely manner working with team colleagues in the UK.
- Schedule a weekly roster of proactive calls/ appointments and make presentations to potential inward investors using available digital methods.
To support the Head of Investment – Eastern India, in proactively working with industry bodies such as NASSCOM, CII, TiE, FICCI, export promotion councils and other regional chambers etc. to generate leads and visibility for the UK brand.
CRM management (20%)
Ensure Data Hub (DIT’s CRM system) is kept updated and refined with clear and accurate data on pipeline projects for Eastern India. To ensure that the number of active projects recorded on Data Hub is a minimum of 4 times the total annual target of projects allocated to Eastern India. While doing so, to maintain the quality parameters and sector focus set by DIT Headquarters in London.
Provide assistance to the Head of Investment – Eastern India in progressing projects on Data Hub, and overlooking their progress till the end of project cycle.
Obtaining relevant reports and understanding the process relating to Projects on Data Hub in order to have wider conversations with members of the Investment team and colleagues at HQ where required.
Visits management (10%)
To assist and support the Head of Investment – Eastern India in effective delivery of VVIP, Ministerial, Sector specialists, DHC (Deputy High Commissioner), SMT (Senior Management Team) visits by organising meetings with new and existing investors both within the UK and India to either influence their plans of expansion in the UK or to assist companies with taking the first step into the UK.
Finance management (10%)
Vendor and budget management for delivery of investment campaign activities at post efficiently.
Learning and development opportunities:
You will be supported with opportunities to get the right learning and development, career development and opportunities to travel within India and overseas. Comprehensive Induction program offered by the British High Commission and Department for International Trade. Mandatory courses on diversity at work, health & safety awareness, IT induction, responsibility for information and business ethics, etc. will be available. Other personal development courses and sector-specific opportunities will also be available.
Knowledge of English, Bengali or Hindi is desirable. Additional knowledge of other Indian languages spoken in the region could be an advantage.
Level of language required: Excellent spoken and written communication
Other skills / experience / qualifications:
Essential on arrival:
- Graduate from reputed University. Candidates without the required educational qualification but with exceptional practical experience will be considered.
- 2+ years of relevant commercial and business experience;
- Excellent verbal communication skills and a pleasing personality leading to an ability to develop a business network and manage relationships with contacts across Eastern India remotely;
- Existing network of contacts and experience of past activities undertaken across Eastern Indian states would be seen as a strong plus in job applicants
- Excellent team working skills, with strong ability to build cooperative working relationships across our own network, and outside of the British High Commission network with a wide range of organisations;
- Good written communication skills (for emailing/ meeting briefs/ report generation etc.)
- IT competent: Skilled at using social media to gather and propagate information efficiently. Highly competent in standard MS Office tools, such as Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Basic understanding of budget management.
- Knowledge about UK business environment or experience of working/living in the UK;
- Knowledge of factors influencing inward investment (FDI to the UK);
- Graduate/Postgraduate qualification in Business Administration, Management, Economics and Commerce;
- 2+ years of experience of working in client facing roles in a reputed organisation or foreign embassy/ consulate in a trade or investment promotion role;
- Skilled at sharing information in a practical way with key contacts within and outside the organisation;
- Project Management and Market Research skills;
- Experience of working in a virtual team.
British High Commission (BHC) candidates, the Local Staff BHC Terms & Conditions will apply.
For other than BHC candidates, salary will be INR 58,642 per month plus 12% provident fund and 6% Special Allowance.
Additionally the BHC offers a great benefits package that includes annual domiciliary medical cover, plus a Group Hospitalisation Scheme with Rs. 500,000 floater cover for your immediate family.
The BHC is recognised as a good employer, with a robust, fair and transparent performance management & appraisal system linked to increments and staff bonuses. We have a 5-day working week, plus annual leave, public holidays, maternity leave provision, special leave, paid sick leave provision; ample development opportunities, travel opportunities, a good organisational culture, and excellent work/life balance.
Around half of our work force is women. We treat people with respect and equality and have a policy of zero tolerance for any form of discrimination, bullying, or harassment. This is a good opportunity to be part of a strong, diverse team, working in the biggest network that FCO has anywhere across the globe. We are aiming to make it the best.
Please note applications without (a), (b) and (c) listed below will not be considered.
a) Complete the Online Application Form
b) Attach a detailed CV mandatorily
c) Complete the motivation segment in the Online Application Form and the competency questions.
Internal Candidates please Note:
- While applying for this position, upload the appraisal forms for the previous 2 years (if applicable) else the application will not be considered.
- Inform the line manager before applying for the position.
We will accept only online applications by “1st September 2019” midnight.
Please Note :
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification & experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to Police Verification and other checks including references, educational and professional.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
The work of a diplomatic mission can be unusual, and the subject matter can range across the full breadth of the UK-India partnership. The nature of communications is that you and colleagues will need to be able to flex to support other priorities outside of your immediate work areas where necessary, for example during high-profile visits.
This opportunity is closed to applications.