View Vacancy - Post Security Manager B3 (L) (02/19 BMK) - AU
Main purpose of job:
This position is a dynamic and challenging role at the British Embassy in Bamako. The Embassy requires a Post Security Manager (PSM) within the Security Section. You will be an integral part of the security section, responsible for key areas within the daily management of security at the embassy. You will assist in the management of the manned guarding on a daily basis, which will involve liaising directly with the service provider. You will also be required to establish a network of security contacts within the Malian Security Forces (MSF) and other Post Security Managers at other diplomatic missions. A key function at the embassy will be to provide interpretation services at the embassy from French and Bambara to English. Key qualities for the role are looking for are integrity, discretion and trustworthiness.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Assist and deputise the FCO Regional Overseas Security Manager (ROSM) with a range of security management functions specifically in the area of;
- The day-to-day oversight of the manned guarding at the embassy.
- French/Bambara interpretation for the security section and wider embassy staff at the embassy. Translation of French/Bambara documents/notices into English, or vice versa, for the security section and wider embassy as required.
- Maintaining liaison links with MSF security contacts, including, local Police Commanders.
- Assist the ROSM in the security clearance process for Locally Employed staff at the Embassy in direct consultation with the FCO ROSM, Malian Ministries and local Law Enforcement Agencies.
- Building and maintaining a productive network of security contacts in Bamako and to assist with a network of security contacts in the main population centres across Mali.
- A broad understanding of the security situation across Mali, and ability to speak with local contacts to gather information on threats and security issues/plans.
- Providing the Single Point of Contact on all security related matters for local staff employed at the British Embassy Bamako, with an ability to advise on security protocols and reaction to intimidation and threat information.
- Delivering security induction briefings and other required security training for locally employed staff at the British Embassy Bamako and to assist in security briefings for visitors to the embassy.
- Follow the Foreign Office policy and practice on Security and ensure those are implemented in full in the Embassy.
- Play a lead role in embassy in crisis response.
- Ensure full preparation of team for staff travel in Mali.
- Other ad hoc tasks linked to security at the British Embassy Bamako.
- Experience of security matters and their impact on staff.
- An ability to work on own initiative and under pressure.
- Good team player, with personable manner, and a proven track record in building a strong network of contacts.
- Excellent interpretation and translation skills.
- Experience of using Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Applicants must have a clean record with no criminal convictions. The security clearance process to work at the British Embassy will include checks with the Malian security authorities.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Fluent English, French and Bambara.
- Previous experience of working as a security manager at an international organisation or NGO.
- Excellent references.
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Bamako are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Mali.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- The British Embassy do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidate.
This opportunity is closed to applications.