View Vacancy - Senior Business Development Executive (CHEB19.377)
The British Embassy in Berne is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are seeking to recruit a Senior Business Development Executive – Science & Technology to represent SDI - Scottish Development International - which is an integral part of the Embassy.
In October 2016, Scotland’s First Minister announced that SDI’s resources in Europe would be supplemented to 'double the number of SDI staff working across Europe'. This position has been identified as one of the additional staff roles which are being created across Europe. This post is being recruited for on a permanent, on-going basis.
The main purpose for this position is to increase and widen the on-the-ground support available to Scottish companies who have the ambition, capacity and capability to export their products and/or services into Europe.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provision of trade advice and guidance to Scottish companies wishing to access markets in Switzerland & Liechtenstein within the Science & Technology sectors, with a particular focus on Financial & Business Services and Life Science & Chemicals, respectively.
- Support Scottish companies with their market entry and growth strategies;
- Develop and maintain market-specific partnerships, relationships and networks with Swiss procurement and supply chain decision makers, key industry organisations, stakeholders and networks in the region;
- Work closely with the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office, UK Department for International Trade, trade associations and sector and account teams in Scotland to identify and deliver specific in-market trade opportunities for Scottish account managed companies;
- Identify and attend sector specific trade shows, exhibitions and conferences in the region to promote the Scottish Science & Technology proposition as widely as possible;
- Gather intelligence, scope / explore new Science & Technology opportunities and report on trends and findings to sector teams and companies as appropriate. Also look into cross-sector opportunities;
- Raise the profile of Scotland as a Science &Technology destination, leading to increased trade to respective sector Scottish companies;
- Strategic engagement with global Science & Technology companies in Switzerland and Liechtenstein;
- Support SDI`s sector strategy development through networking and promoting links into Switzerland’s Science & Technology institutions and incubation hubs, with a view to promoting exchanges of best practice and collaboration;
- Develop a deep understanding of routes to market, business environment and regulatory framework in your sub-sector & markets.
- Support and leverage visits into the region by Scottish Ministers and senior colleagues to ‘open doors’ and strengthen business relationships at the very highest levels with existing investors, new prospects, customers and stakeholders;
- Act as an ambassador of the Scottish economy.
The role will require occasional travel to Scotland for training and sector development activities and attendance at business events outside of core working hours.
- Fluency in English and German (written/spoken);
- A degree (or relevant level of professional experience) in Finance, LSC, Marketing / Sales or Business Management;
- An experienced networker with established relationships with Switzerland and Liechtenstein Science & Technology (FBS/LSC) leaders is extremely desirable;
- Understanding of the organisational structures of the Switzerland and Liechtenstein Science & Technology industries (FBS/LSC);
- Research and analysis skills, acquired in an international market development context;
- Sales orientation and proven ability to achieve results / success within a Consultative Sales / Strategic Sales environment;
- Knowledge and experience of working in Switzerland / Central Europe;
- Dynamic self-starter, with a high level of initiative, resilience, project and personal management skills;
- Strong customer relationship and communication skills:
- IT literate and comfortable using MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) as well as CRM systems;
- A team player ethos and ability to work successfully within a geographically dispersed ‘virtual team’ to achieve common objectives.
- Previous experience of working within an international trade & investment promotion related role;
- Ideally existing knowledge of the Scottish Science & Technology services subsectors or must be able to demonstrate the ability to quickly acquire the requisite level of specialist knowledge;
- Fluency in French or Italian.
This is a permanent full-time contract (40 net hours per week) with a possibility of renewal.
The successful candidate will be subject to professional background and security clearance.
The successful candidate must have pre-existing work authorisation for Switzerland in order to apply.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Switzerland.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered. Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
This opportunity is closed to applications.