View Vacancy - Office Manager
The Development Section at the British Embassy in Amman is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual for the position of Office Manager (Maternity Cover), Grade – B3 (L).
Main Purpose of the job:
This is an exciting opportunity to work for the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) as it responds rapidly to the COVID-19 crisis and looks to programme both short- and long-term work in support of the UK-Jordan partnership. This partnership has the UK as a leading and trusted adviser to Jordan, rallying and coordinating international donors in support of Jordan’s long-term stability.
This is a fast-paced role, particularly in terms of admin and meeting management. The post requires commitment to work with others and the ability to proactively find solutions to problems, to ensure the efficient operation and functioning of the Development Section. The successful candidate will be confident working at pace and multi-tasking to respond to changing priorities. The jobholder will report to the Head of Better Delivery.
In this role you will effectively plan and manage the needs of the Development Section, including:
- Coordinating meetings, travel and logistics.
- Managing correspondence and invitations.
- Maintaining a good relationship with the Corporate Services team.
- Sending weekly updates to the team.
- Maintaining the HR transition plan and organogram.
- Overseeing the supply and functioning of office equipment.
- Providing HR support including with recruitment, staff on-boarding, inductions, handovers and staff headcount.
- Leading on logistics for incoming visits, booking accommodation, transport, camp entry permits, liaising with Jordanian authorities and inputting logistical information into briefing packs.
- Maintaining robust information systems for the team and using the relevant systems to ensure staff are saving documents in the appropriate places.
- Supporting the team with IT issues.
- Ensuring sufficient stocks of office stationary and consumables as required.
- Engaging with Embassy-wide initiatives.
We are looking for an exceptionally organised candidate with strong interpersonal skills. You will need to be good at working with others but also willing to work independently, and exercise good judgment on sensitive issues.
- Managing a Quality Service - Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Collaborating and Partnering – People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Delivering at Pace - Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Leading and Communicating - Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm.
Knowledge & Skills:
The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills as well as being a strong team player with partnering skills with a diverse range of customers. This is a high-paced role and you will need to be resilient in order to deliver high standards of service in a challenging but rewarding environment. We are looking for someone that can demonstrate:
- Fluent written and spoken English (both written and spoken).
- Degree level education.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in a similar role (office administration) in an Embassy or similar organisation.
- Experience of working with senior management.
- Highly organised with a strong ability to work proactively and manage a variety of competing priorities.
- Flexible team player who is able to work on their own initiative, and ready to take on emerging and high-profile tasks at short notice.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Office experience.
- IT literacy in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Arabic language skills.
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The position is full-time, at 37 hours a week with considerations of flexibility depending on circumstances that will need to be agreed with the line manager. Standard working hours are from 08:00 to 15:30 from Sunday to Wednesday and 08:00 to 15:00 on Thursday.
Pay is on the Embassy B3 (L) scale, with a salary of JOD 1613 per month. Please note that your salary will be paid gross and you are expected to comply with your tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the local authorities. If exceptionally you are not liable to pay Jordanian tax, you will receive a net salary which is minus the deduction of an equivalent level of local tax. Further information on this will be given to candidates at interview if necessary.
The package includes a good level of health insurance and a friendly, English-speaking work environment. We offer opportunities to develop professional skills through our Learning & Development offer. Leave entitlement is 25 days (on pro rata basis) plus 14 public holidays.
This is a Full Time, Fixed Term position (Maternity Cover) for 6 months with an assumed/desired start date of 15 March 2021.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90-days probationary period.
The Development Section follows a 70-20-10 model of learning. Your Line Manager will help you develop a personalised L&D plan and will share opportunities, resources and guidance to ensure you continue your learning and achieve your full potential.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as long as:
- Receive the appropriate level of standard security clearance;
- Have (or be willing to obtain) the right to live and work in Jordan. Candidate's residence permit and work permit, and the expense to obtain them, will be their own responsibility.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- A covering letter/statement of suitability including competence and experience required.
** (Applications that do not include the above stated information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 03 January 2021.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of applications, we receive only those shortlisted for interview or assessment will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local labour law.
The British Embassy Amman is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.
This opportunity is closed to applications.